VMware Cloud Community
fraber01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Freezing Workstations vm

Some of our users are complaining their vms are freezing from times to times, it can last from a few minutes to several hours.  When we look at the task manager, the vm is using 100% resources.

These users are using Sharepoint, Sql Server and BizTalk on their machines.

There's no reservations/limits/pools or whatsoever limiting these machines and there's plenty or ressources on the hosts.  So nothing can explain this.

Anyone have an idea where to look?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

SQL can be very resource intensive.

If you have multiple VMs on the same ESX host - with this same config and have over allocate resource - it is quite easy to get into a situation where you experience performance issues.

The thing to really watch out for is the number of vCPUs that you are allocating to each VM - If you have high amounts of vCPUs per VM (more than 2) and you have a low number of cores / CPUs in your ESX host - you could be experiencing processor scheduling issues. - In this case, simply reducing the number of vCPUs per VM should help resolve your issue.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How are the VMs configured - # vCPUs, memory? Are three apps on the same VM or seperate VMs? Where is the data stored is all it all on the same LUN? Ae than proceduresscripts running in the SQL server? What VMware product are you using?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

SQL can be very resource intensive.

If you have multiple VMs on the same ESX host - with this same config and have over allocate resource - it is quite easy to get into a situation where you experience performance issues.

The thing to really watch out for is the number of vCPUs that you are allocating to each VM - If you have high amounts of vCPUs per VM (more than 2) and you have a low number of cores / CPUs in your ESX host - you could be experiencing processor scheduling issues. - In this case, simply reducing the number of vCPUs per VM should help resolve your issue.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos