VMware Cloud Community
bytemind
Contributor
Contributor

FreeBSD v7.0 on ESXi

Hi,

I can see in the comp. doc that i can run freebsd 6.2 under ESXi - Can i also run FreeBSD 7.0 under ESXi?

/ Ebbe

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Thomas_Prophett
Contributor
Contributor

Goodday,

I'm currently using FreeBSD 7.0 on my two Dell 860s successfully for the past 2weeks. It's not offically spported as you've pointed out.

The only issues that i've come across are on a rare occastion during boot / reboot its seems to hang. And this is fixed by performing a 'reset'.

0 Kudos
bytemind
Contributor
Contributor

It hangs? Ohh thats not good, my Dell is in a hosting centre, and i cant risk going there for a reboot.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Prophett
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Maybe i wasn't clear. In the event of the FreeBSD 7.0 VM hanging during boot, you can login via the VI client and perform a reset on that particular VM.

0 Kudos
bytemind
Contributor
Contributor

DOHH Smiley Wink

Ofcourse you can do that, sorry! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
bytemind
Contributor
Contributor

How do you access the dell server administrator (the web interface, it authenticates up against windows on my server) when you run ESXi? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Thomas_Prophett
Contributor
Contributor

You don't. I don't know of anyway the Server Administrator would function without being installed on top of a supported OS. ESXi displays sensory data via one of the tabs. Or if you've got a DRAC installed you can also retrieve sensory data from that.

0 Kudos
bytemind
Contributor
Contributor

Okay - But how do you monitor the harddrives status? I would like to know when it shows "predicted failure" Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Thomas_Prophett
Contributor
Contributor

That's a very good question. I'm not sure how you would do this.

One idea is if somehow your able to install an agent(from dell or LSI) inside of ESXi to monitor the internal RAID card .... I'll have a dig around

0 Kudos
Thomas_Prophett
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos