VMware Cloud Community
mosg
Contributor
Contributor

FreeBSD 8 + VMware Tools on ESXi 4.0

Hello everyone.

We bought a few weeks ago new HP server (HP Proliant DL360R06). After that we installed VMWare ESXi 4.0 U1 for HP on that server, and started testing:

- Test host #1: FreeBSD 8.0 (64-bit), e.g. amd64, with vmware-tools installed within menu option"Install/Upgrade VMWare Tools". Result: in hosts 'Summary' tab in Guest OS line set: FreeBSD (32-bit), but all our configurations was done for (64-bit) system. And after that we found another bad moment: in hosts 'Resource Allocation' tab in 'Memory' box all host memory (after installed vmware-tools) viewed as used.

- Test host #2: FreeBSD 8.0 (32-bit), with vmware-tools and etc. Result: All Host Memory used!

I have to say, that this two test machines does not perform calculation work or allocation such a memory, but VMware vSphere Client show that they used all of there consumed RAM memory.

Question: is some one already solved this problem and may give me advice? May be we are doing something wrong?

PS: for "ESXi 3.5 FreeBSD 8 (64-bit) + vmware-tools" does not have problems, which describe above.

Thanks and good luck!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mosg
Contributor
Contributor

In additional I have to say, that and Windows systems doesn't work for correct. E.g. Windows XP SP2 + VMWare Tools use all consumed memory, and doesn't free it went the system is idle or nothing doing...

0 Kudos