VMware Cloud Community
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

Firewall virtualization

Hello everyone, I'm thinking in convert my fisical firewall to an Virtual machine. but I don't know if these it is a good idea or doesn't is recommended.

I wish a opnion about this issue.....currently I have a fisical firewall and I wish virtualization it. I know all will be work but I think may there is some issue that I'm unable release this moment so I want a opnion from third-party.

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - There is no issue in virtualizing a firewall and the necessary security can be ensured with a proper design -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Have you ever seen any firewall on vmware Vsphere ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes there rae a number of firewalls availale in VMware Appliance marketplace that I have seen in operation -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, it's not appliance.....I have a fisical firewall machie ( linux CentOS 5.4 ) and I wish migrate it to my virtual environment.

so...I would like know if anyone have ever seen a linux firewall in a virtual environment.

thanks!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Remember when I use the term Applicance I am not referring to a hardware appliance but a prebuilt VM typically running Linux because of OS licensing issues with Microsoft that is available to down from the VMware Appliance marketplace (https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/category_groups/19) or from the software manufacturers - like Juniper Networks, Checkpoint or Venyatta - or you could build a VM - what Firewall are you running?

0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor

my firewall fisical that I wish migrate to an virtual machine is Linux CentOS 5.4

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

So you are not using a third part firewall but the native firewall within Centos - then there will definitely no issue of running it as virtual machine -