VMware Cloud Community
steven_tolson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File/registry entry to check to see if a Windows server is a VM?

Hi All,

Does anybody know of a file or registry setting I could remotely check for on a Windows server to see if it is a VM. This would need to be common across Windows NT 4.0, 2000 and 2003 some of which do not have VMtools installed.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
33 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Another question is - do you expect to be cheated ?

Draconis - the DeviceClass Entries can easily be faked - you could detect VMs which are physical machines in reality.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How could these be faked? Do you mean that they could give false positives or someone would actually intentionally change them (:smileydevil:)? I can keep looking for something that might exist in VMs only but VMWare did such a good job in the registry my head is starting to hurt.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh I've been meaning to ask...is that motherboard you suggested to look for actually all virtual or has this motherboard actually existed as a real one that has been released into production? I just want to know if this actual model was created for VMWare only so that the motherboards can be standardized or if they are after a real MOBO.

If you have found my answer helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, they emulate a standard Intel 440BX chipset.

Realize that the guest OS has no idea it is not running on a physical computer... so there is not going to be any file or registry entry which spells that out.

0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Man these communities are addictive. You guys are fast with these answers. I am learning alot. No one tell my boss I am trying to learn VMWare on company time. Thanks to RD about that. Good thing to know that it is modeled after a real motherboard after all. Got one more key if it makes sense.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

There should be a subkey and within that a value called Description. It should say something that has VMWare in it. Does that make more sense guys?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Only if you use the default network card AND have the VMware Tools installed. Otherwise, either an AMD PCNet Lance card or an Intel E1000 card is emulated.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a picture

Interesting is that this board can use Intel and AMD of many various versions.

It also accepts 4MB RAM sticks in combination with 1024 MB sticks !

This board in a VM definetely must have some features that do not appear in real metal ?

Maybe if we check ..

If Nic is e1000 or vmxnet or AMD pcnet32

AND board is 440bx

AND soundcard is soundblaster compatible or not present

AND Video-card is VMware SVGA 2 or Standard VGA

AND firewire ports are not present

then very likely we have a VM ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

If

Chipset is 440BX

and the CPU is not a Pentium-II / III or the equivalent Celeron

and (just to make sure) the MAC address is in the VMware range

then we have a VM

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is Pentium-II / III or the equivalent Celeron the only real metal CPUs that ever worked with that board ?

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Yes

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As olilver says,

a mixture of BX mother board and a AMD chip definate VM - the 44-BX was an intel based MB

a mixture of BX motherborad and a XEON definate VM, the BX440 only supported P-III and Celerons

I would ignore MAC address checks and it is rumoured VMware will be allowing none VMware MAC addresses to be used in the VMX file.

another benefit of this check is that it should would be able to identify none windows guests if the correct tools are in the other guests.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Draconis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Motherboard (subkeys) as noted by continuum:

HKLM\HARDWARE\ACPI\FADT\

CPU:

HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0

Value called ProcessorNameString

What do you think guys?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know the strings for pentium 2/3 Celeron ?

I could make a autoit-script then

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

With checking all those registry string be aware that you might mislabel any machine that is V2P-ed as it probably still has all drivers installed (just not active)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos