VMware Cloud Community
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File Server problems after P2V

Greetings,

I was hoping someone might have seen this issue before and might be able to help me out here.

I did a P2V on a file server (Windows 2003 Std) virtual machine. Ever since the P2V, the server keeps experiencing strange issues after a couple of days. It will stop being able to communicate with the domain controllers, and when you try to remote desktop to the server you will get "The RPC server is unavailable."

Several events in the event log are listed, the two common ones are:

-

Event Type: Error

Event Source: NETLOGON

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5719

Date: 3/12/2008

Time: 12:51:09 PM

User: N/A

Computer: DCCFS1

Description:

This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain DIMEO due to the following:

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1053

Date: 3/12/2008

Time: 12:45:03 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: DCCFS1

Description:

Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. ). Group Policy processing aborted.-----

I haven't found much good information on this and I'm in the process of getting a ticket opened up with Microsoft, but since this only started once I did the p2v I was hoping maybe someone else might have seen this.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlanTang
Contributor
Contributor

I has such kinds of problem. I just uninstall the VMTools and re-install the VMTools to resume the network problem. Then I use NETDOM to perform secure channel reset on AD Level. Now is working fine. You can try it and pls kindly share the result.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I did a P2V on a file server (Windows 2003 Std) virtual machine. Ever since the P2V, the server keeps experiencing strange issues after a couple of days. It will stop being able to communicate with the domain controllers, and when you try to remote desktop to the server you will get "The RPC server is unavailable."

Have you checked if the guests time is within a range of +/- 5 Minutes from the DC when this occurs? What do you do to correct the problem? Rebooting?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
xmika
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've got the same issue on 7 VMs created by VM converter from a physical Dell desktop computer.

The physical source machine was running with 2GB of memory but only 512MB were dedicated to the target VMs.

Now 5 of these VMs are running with 1 or 2 GB and two of them that are used only for testing purpose still have 512MB.

There's no more event ID 1053 in the production VMs' event log since we add the memory but it happened two or tree times again on the test VMs with 512MB.

I hope this can help you.

regards

Michael

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've had these similar issues with physical as well as virtual servers. The easiest thing for me was to remove the VM/server from the domain, and immediately recreate them. Some kind of ad object corruption, which caused the secure session to fail between domain controlller and server. You can troubleshoot for hours, but it's much easier to remove from domain and recreate, fixing and sync'ing any machine password accounts.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
gbowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One of the items I've added to my P2V SOP is a clean-up step, this applies specificly to NIC's but any hidden driver could be a problem;

You need to uninstall all unused device drivers from device manager specifically network adaptors.

The IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX you have entered for this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter Name of adapter. Name of adapter is hidden from the network and Dial-up Connections folder because it is not physically in the computer or is a legacy adapter that is not working. If the same address is assigned to both adapters and they become active, only one of them will use this address. This may result in incorrect system configuration. Do you want to enter a different IP address for this adapter in the list of IP addresses in the advanced dialog box?

Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address that you are trying to set and Name of adapter is the name of the network adapter that is present in the registry but hidden in Device Manager.

If you click Yes, you see the TCP/IP properties where you can change the IP address to something different for the currently showing network adapter in Device Manager. If you click No, the IP address is assigned to the network adapter. Note that if you click No, the selected network adapter in Device Manager and the ghosted network adapter have the same IP address. In most cases, this does not cause any problems because the driver is disabled.

Back to the top

CAUSE

A network adapter with the same IP address is in the registry but is hidden in Device Manager. This can occur when you move a network card from one PCI slot to another PCI slot.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, uninstall the ghosted network adapter from the registry using one of the following methods:

Back to the top

Method 1

Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.

Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.

Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.

Expand the Network Adapters tree.

Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.

jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the help with this one. What ended up being the ultimate solution was a Hotfix from Microsoft!

We applied two of them:

KB943016 and KB934855. One had to do with Printing ,and another with DCOM or some such.

After applying these two patches, the VM has been running great. We had to coax Microsoft into helping us because it's a virtual machine and they tried to use the "It's best effort support" claim, but they did help us and this fixed the problem.

I'll put in helpful for everyone that offered help 😃

Message was edited by: joseph.jamieson - Marked question as answered.

0 Kudos
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft supplied two hotfixes which solved the issue. See my last post on this thread for the particulars.

0 Kudos
anthonybeats
Contributor
Contributor

can you give me a link to the hotfixes???? i just searched google and microsoft with no results

0 Kudos
gbowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
anthonybeats
Contributor
Contributor

that showed the link to remove old hardware i just need the link to those 2 hotfixes you listed..

0 Kudos
gbowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My bad ... you were referencing joseph.jamieson post, not mine.

0 Kudos