VMware Cloud Community
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File Server - Network Latency

I am having a very weird problem with a windows 2003 File Server. It has 768 MB of RAM and runs start menus and other little programs when users login. It seems that every day on Monday, the server locks up and there is a huge delay in response when trying to access it using UNC. It can take up to 5 minutes for the window to display.

CPU is low, along with memory. Network is about 2 MB Max Spike during this time. Disk is also very low for the VM, spiking at about 1 MB.

I am not sure exactly what could be wrong or where to even look other than to start removing certain functions away from this server to see if it is a problem with the amount of users connecting. This server use to be physical and we never had problems like this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
royiii
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue in the past with a server - unexplained very, very, poor performance. No matter what I did the problem would not go away. I did finally fix the problem by deleting the VM but not the vmdk/disk files, and then creating a new VM and using the same vmdk files. I still don't know why, but I have used this solution twice since then and it has fixed the problem qeach time.

Good luck

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will try that. I hope it works. Thanks

0 Kudos