VMware Cloud Community
dmustakasjr
Contributor
Contributor

Failure to clone VM from Template in vCenter 4.0

I am having a problem when attempting to provision a new VM from template. I have tried this on several templates and I do not think it has anything to do with my customizations. I get thru the wizard and once the task is processing (which takes upwards of 30 minutes in some instances) I get the error: COULD NOT COMPLETE NETWORK COPY FOR FILE NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE/VIRTUALMACHINE.VMDK. DNS resolution was my first stop but nothing obvious jumps out at me. Any thoughts?

vRico Virtualization Enthusiast VCP 3&4, MCITP EA and a bunch of other stuff
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you templates and VM destination on the same datastore? If not try cloning to the same one to see if that works.

Check you have plenty of free space.

What is your block size? Does the destination datastore have a block size, which doesn't support the VM vmdk file size? ie block size of 1mb gives max vmdk file size of 256GB.

----

Peter Grant

Virtualization Consultant

Xtravirt.com

Please award points if you found this helpful

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
chetana
Contributor
Contributor

Is this issue resolved?

Could you please share

Thanks

Chetana

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

may i know what's the error message you're getting? it would be much easier for us to assist you out.

0 Kudos
chetana
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to deploy virtual machine from template selecting "customize using the customization wizard".

The cloning template process starts and gives out an error at 93% saying "COULD NOT COMPLETE NETWORK COPY FOR FILE C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imcF566.tmp" .

Deploying virtual machine from template by selecting "Do not customize " in Guest Customization wizard works fine.

I have checked other link and it says "Template and Virtual machine should be on the same datastore". and I have them on same datastore.

Could you please provide me inputs on this error. Is it something to do with network settings?

gues OS used is windows 7 x64 bit

Apprecitate your help

Thanks

Chetana

0 Kudos