VMware Cloud Community
2toneK
Contributor
Contributor

External drive install?

Okay, I've installed vmware Fusion 2. I'd like to run Windows from my external drive. When I do the Windows XP install the only options it gives me are my main drive or a partition on that drive. Any ideas on how to get it see my external?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this post explains that

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/100640

Please mark if it is useful

0 Kudos
2toneK
Contributor
Contributor

I tried method number three, since I already have a virtual disk created. "control-click" doesn't give me the option (show package contents) mentioned in the post.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual machine never "sees" the physical hardware directly (for the most part.) It only sees what is presented in the virtual machine settings. In short, the virtual machine's hard drive the VMDK file that you specify in the virtual machine settings (and/or in the VMX file.) But the it is just an OSX file that to the virtual machine looks like a hard drive.

So more correctly, you do NOT run Windows from the external drive, but you can run the virtual machine from the external hard drive. Just create a new virtual machine, but specific the location of the files to be somewhere on the the external hard drive. Click on customize before hitting finish. Then you can specify where you virtual machine is stored. (If you clicked finish alredy, you can just copy or move the virtual machine package file over to the external hard drive. Then click File, Open to add it back to the Virtual Machine Library.) Windows setup will still only "see" one hard drive (whatever you specified in the virtual machine settings.) But that virtual hard drive file (the .vmdk file) is now stored on the external hard drive.

0 Kudos
2toneK
Contributor
Contributor

That really clears things up for me. Thanks for helping a newbie!

0 Kudos