VMware Cloud Community
Giacometto
Contributor
Contributor

Error while opening virtual machine. VMX file is corrupt.

I run a virtual machine with an Ubuntu OS since some years thanks to VMware Workstation Player 12.

This morning I emptied the Download folder of my Windows 7 system, unaware of the fact that it housed some VMware important files.

When I tried to start the virtual machine I received first a message more or less like this: "Can't open the virtual machine. The file C:\Users\pc\Documents\Downloads does not exist".

Then I opened the trashbin, retrieved all the VMware files and put them again in the Download folder.

When I tried to open again the virtual machine a new messagge appeared: "Error while opening the virtual machine: VMX file is corrupt".

I know all the data - very important: there are years of mails - are safe, but I'd like to know how to regain access to the Ubuntu OS.

I want to add that my technical skills are very limited, so that if someone wants to help me he - or she - has to be very clear.

Thank you,

Peppo

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it's basically not a big deal to recreate a configuration (.vmx) file (see e.g. HowTo: Recreating a .vmx from the vmware.log file ). However, in this case I'd recommend that we first get an overview, to see whether the .vmx file is all that's needed.

Please run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, then compress/zip the following files, and attach the resulting .zip file to a reply post.

filelist.txt, vmware*.log, *.vmx, *.vmsd

André

0 Kudos
Giacometto
Contributor
Contributor

Dear  André,

I am very grateful to you.

I send you TWO .zip files.

The first comes from the path C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player where I think most of the files concerning my virtual machine are located.

The second comes from the path C:\Users\pc\Documents\Downloads where is located the files that the program was searching for and that is corrupted.

Peppo

p.s. the first .zip file is too big. I send you ONLY THE SECOND, hoping it contains the informations you need. tell me if there is something in the C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player path that I must send you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The .vmx file is indeed corrupt. According to the log files, you should be able to recreate the .vmx file from the vmware.log file. Simply download the batch script from the link I posted before an follow the instructions to create a new .vmx file from the vmware.log.

André

0 Kudos
Giacometto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again.

To follow your indications I need some additional instructions (sorry: I am very, very ignorant...).

Can you explain me more in detail and/or plainly how to make this: "Please run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, then compress/zip the following files, and attach the resulting .zip file to a reply post.

filelist.txt, vmware*.log, *.vmx, *.vmsd

For example I am not been able to retrieve and download "the batch script from the link I posted before"...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please open a command prompt, and run the following commands:

cd C:\Users\pc\Documents\Downloads

md myfiles

dir *.* /one > myfiles\filelist.txt

copy *.vmx myfiles

copy vmware*.log myfiles

copy *.vmsd myfiles

Then create a .zip archive, which includes all the files in the "myfiles" directory, and attach this .zip file to a reply post.

Anyway, I created a new "Ubuntu 64-bit.vmx" (see attachment) for you. Please see whether this already solves the issue.

André

0 Kudos
Giacometto
Contributor
Contributor

I have done what you wrote in the command prompt and now there is a new message:

"File not found: Ubuntu 64-bit.vmdk. This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location."

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I was afraid that this is the case (that's why I wanted to see the file list). The "Ubuntu 64-bit.vmdk" file represents the VM's virtual disk, and is usually too large for the Windows Trash Bin, i.e. will usually be deleted without moving it to the trash bin.

Unless you do have a backup of this file, or file recovery tool which is able to recover the file, there's not much you can do anymore. Even if you are able to somehow recover the file, chances are high that it is corrupted already.

Maybe continuum​ (for contact details, follow the link) can help!?

André

0 Kudos
Giacometto
Contributor
Contributor

I'll follow your advice, but I am quite depressed...

What makes me wonder, however, are two circumstances.

First, that all the files concerning a virtual machine were stored in a "generic" and "unsafe" folder such as the Download folder. I wonder if it is the default location or if I made a mistake when I created the virtual machine.

Second, that by sending in the trashbin only three or four small files I could have automatically send also the big .vmdk file.

All this is quite astonishing.

However I want to thank you again for your helpful hand.

Peppo

0 Kudos