VMware Cloud Community
pkokas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when trying to deploy VM from Template

I have a VMware environment with two datacenters. I have created a template in one and when I try to deploy from that template and select the other datacenter as the target location I receive the following error: "input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter."

I have verified that there are no settings for the template that are specific to the datacenter where it currently resides.

Has anyone else come across this error before?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need to import the template as a separate template in the other datacenter. Does your ESX hosts in each Datacenter see the same LUNs? If so then you can import the template in the other Datacenter with the same name if you want. If not, then you will need to copy the Template to a LUN in the other datacenter and import it. ( bad thing is that you will need to update 2 templates instead of 1) In our environment we have 3 datacenters and I have 1 lun that is assigned to all ESX hosts to use for templates and iso images.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need to import the template as a separate template in the other datacenter. Does your ESX hosts in each Datacenter see the same LUNs? If so then you can import the template in the other Datacenter with the same name if you want. If not, then you will need to copy the Template to a LUN in the other datacenter and import it. ( bad thing is that you will need to update 2 templates instead of 1) In our environment we have 3 datacenters and I have 1 lun that is assigned to all ESX hosts to use for templates and iso images.

0 Kudos
pkokas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. That did the trick. I have shared LUNs between the two datacenters, but I didn't know I could have the same template name in two different datacenters. Thank you again!

0 Kudos