VMware Cloud Community
davehudson31415
Contributor
Contributor

Error message installing Win 2008 x64 guest with VMWare ESX 4

Greetings,

I've been trying to get a Windows Server 2008 64-bit server installed within a VMWare ESX 4 host, but not having much luck. The hardware is a Dell 2900, and I'm installing offsite with the vSphere Client. The media I'm using is the Windows Server 2008 DVD supplied by Dell and the VM is configured to use the host drive. The installation starts fine, but when it gets to expanding files, it displays the error:

Windows cannot copy files from D:\Sources to C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070001.

I've tried various combinations of storage adapters/drivers, but still comes up. If anyone has suggestions, please reply.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gmurisonapd
Contributor
Contributor

From previous experience with physcial servers, this in indicates bad media.

Is this the first time using the same media? Do you have any other media to try?

Also do you have some details of the VM?

davehudson31415
Contributor
Contributor

It's the first time attempting to install with this media. I

usually find the pressed CD from the manufacturer works better than a

burn, but I suppose anything can happen.

I'm trying to set up a Windows Server 2008 x64 VM using 2 cores (out of the 8 in the physical server) to be used as a new domain controller/file server. The VM version is set to 7, as this is the first use of VMWare ESX in the organization and compatibility with previous versions isn't a concern. 4GB of RAM (out of the 8GB in the box) has been allocated as well. The physical server has 500GB of storage, so I've set this VM to use 160GB of it for now through the LSI Logic Parallel adapter. I suppose I'll have to assume the media is faulty and visit in person to replace it with a burned copy.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm just curious what's that long numbers behind your user alias? Does it mean something special Smiley Happy just curious!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
davehudson31415
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing really significant about the user alias. I messed up registering and had to go through the form a bunch of times. Got a little frustrated and I figured my name followed by PI (copied from calc, without the decimal) ought to be a unique enough alias. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos