VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error during boot of w2k3 guest

When booting a guest from VC 2.02 I get :

"The request refers to an object that no longer exist or has never existed" however when I log into the HOST directly it boots fine.

All hosts in cluster/datacenter are 3.0.2, new Dell 1950s, NFS storage (separate VOLs for each cluster). Migration works fine.

This happens occasionally when I use converter to move machines around or rename them between clusters. However it baffles me.

TIA - S

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - script has been appended by KPF -->

<!--

nopopups();

//-->

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - end of the script appended by KPF-->

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What about un-registering the VM from VirtualCenter and then re-registering it? And maybe even have a look at the vmx file for anomalies?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This hapens randomly for me too when I first go to power on a VM for the first time after converting from physical to virtual in a VC 2.02 and ESX 3.0.2 environment. So I just issue the power on a second time and it powers on successfully. I think it must be something to do with the way the VM is entered into the VC database when using Converter. The second power on corrects the entry. Would be interesting to see the entry in the table in the database for the VM after conversion but before the first attempt at power on.

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have seen that behavior too as well as the second power up.

Right now thats not the case. multiple attempts, no luck. Used "service mgmt-vmware restart" on the host and restarted VC service on VC. No luck.

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - script has been appended by KPF -->

<!--

nopopups();

//-->

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - end of the script appended by KPF-->

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What about un-registering the VM from VirtualCenter and then re-registering it? And maybe even have a look at the vmx file for anomalies?

0 Kudos