mso-default-props:yes;

font-size:10.0pt;

mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;}

@page Section1

div.Section1

-->

When I tried to install the VMware Tools on

x64 Windows Server 2003 SP2 , the following error was logged in the event logs and the

VMware Tools failed to installed properly:

“Product: VMware Tools – Error 1722. There is a problem with

this Windows Installer packager. A program run as part of the setup did not

finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action

VM_RegisterVCBSnapshotProviderService, location:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI67.temp, command: -register “C:\Program Files

(x86)\VMware\VMWare Tools\Drivers\vcc\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll” “VMware Snapshot

Provider” “vmvss” “VMware Snapshot Provider””

ESX/VC 3.5 Update 2 is the version that I am running. I never encountered such an issue before the upgrade.

Kindly let me know the cause of this error.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
52 Replies
UnisonNZ
Contributor
Contributor

I have fixed this issue on the few servers I had with the issue now, using the comreg file - which you all have Smiley Happy

Comreg is found within the vmware tools installation MSI...

So what I did:

1. Create a directory (c:\vmtools)

2. Mount the VMware Tools CD

3. Copy VMware Tools.msi to the directory you created

4. Copied the VCBRequested.dll and VCBSnapshotProvider.dll from \program files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\Win2003 to the directory your created

5. Cancel the VMware tools installation that has started itself

6. Using 7Zip () I extracted the VMware Tools.msi file (rightclick on the MSI, Open Context Menu for 7-Zip, selected Extract to VMware Tools

7. Now within the c:\vmtools directory you will have VMware Tools Folder

8. Within the VMware Tools Folder there will be a file Binary.ComReg.exe, take a copy of this a place it somewhere within the %path% - say c:\windows\ and rename it ComReg.exe

9. Now create the following path c:\program files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss

10. Copy both the VCBRequested.dll and VCBSnapshotProvider.dll from the folder you created in step one to the path you created at step 8

11. now run the following command - comreg.exe -register "c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"

12. Finally, run the Vmware Tools install process, and this time it should work

I have attached ComReg.exe, VCBRequestor.dll and VCBSnapshotProvider.dll to this post.... so if they dont get removed all you have to do is:

1. Copy ComReg.exe to c:\windows\

2. Create c:\program files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss and place VCBRequestor.dll and VCBSnapshotProvider.dll in the created directory

3. Run: comreg.exe -register "c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"

4. Run the VMware Tools install process

Hope that helps

David

0 Kudos
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, this fix worked for one of the three remaining servers that is having the issue. On the other two I get the following error when I try to run the comreg command:

Error performing operation: 0x80040154 (Class not registered)

ANyone else get this?

0 Kudos
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

Prior to running the "comreg" file.

Remove the COM3 from registry. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\COM3.

Restart the machine

Go to Add/Remove Programs. Click on Add Windows Components --> click on Next. COM3 will be readded

Now run the 'comreg' file again.

Let us know how it goes.

Usman

0 Kudos
eastwest98
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me, Although it gave an error for registration, after that I tried installing tools and it worked

0 Kudos
ledav
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

we had also the error. For us the solution to this point was to set the following windows services as "Automatic" startup and to start them :

- Distributed Transaction Coordinator

- COM+ System Application

It solved the issue of error 1722 for VMware Tools installation.

0 Kudos
Tschak
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same Error 1722 with VMWare Tools to install VSS. I tried everything on this threat, without succession. When I run ComReg.exe with mentioned parameters, I get the following message:

C:\WINDOWS&gt;ComReg.exe -register "c:\Programme\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"

Couldn't find application to unregister: VMware Snapshot Provider

Creating new COM+ application (VMware Snapshot Provider)...

Setting application options...

Creating the service...

Registering the DLL...

Securing the application...

Searching for admin group using WMI...

Unregistering the COM+ application (VMware Snapshot Provider)...

Error performing operation: 0x80041014 (IDispatch error #3604).

I hope anyone can help me!

Tschak

0 Kudos
benc6575
Contributor
Contributor

What worked for me was starting the "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" service. I started and install worked 1st try.

0 Kudos
smartsys
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error on of of 30 servers at one of our clients.

This particular server was a Windows 2003 Terminal Server.

I tried the steps with manualy registering the COM+ components, but I received a permissies warning.

I compared the register permissions of another proper functioning Terminal Server with the "bad" one and I found that de permissions on the CLSID were different. I altered the permissions on the problem server and now the regular VMware installation completes just fine.

0 Kudos
alexpilotti
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the MSTDC service didn't start. To resolve this issue:

msdtc -resetlog

And then start it:

net start msdtc

After that the VMWare Tools setup worked like a charm (including VSS)

Alessandro

0 Kudos
deceit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ledav,

Both of these services were disabled (Locked down DC). Starting these fixed my issue

0 Kudos
lascer
Contributor
Contributor

UnisonNZ,

an HP ML370 G4, Win 2003 ENT was virtualized and couldn't get the vmwaretools to install after. After following your solution (twice) then the vmwaretools did install succesffully. It was thoughtful of you to post what could work for others. Thanks much.

0 Kudos
mcdonamw
Contributor
Contributor

I am having an issue similar to this but none of the posted solutions seem to work. My problem may be a little different though. When I kick off the VMTools installation, it gets to the point of registering the VMware snapshot provider, the line "Searching for admin group using WMI..." specifically, the WMIPRVSE.exe service immediately shoots to 100% cpu and the install just freezes.

If I close the cmd window that is attempting the registration of the service, it is at this point I get the error 1722, problem installing VCBshapshot service, etc.

I've done the manual registration by copying the files locally and initiating the COMREG string and it works perfectly fine. The issue only surfaces through the VMTools installation itself. As such I cannot install the VMTools.

Anyone have any other ideas? What would make the wmiprvse.exe service lock up during the installation? I've tried all solutions provided here to no avail. I also have my antivirus disabled.

If it helps, this particular VM was moved from VMServer 2.0 to ESX 3.5.2. I uninstalled the v2.0 VMTools before I migrated.

TIA,

Matthew

0 Kudos
Raymond_Kales
Contributor
Contributor

Removing the COM3 registry entry did the trick for me, thanks!

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos
sunchaser
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, when i do an unattended installation of the VSS component (VMware Tools already existing). The problem was that the VSS driver files were missing in der VMware Tools directory (for some reason the installation process did not copy them). After manually copy the VSS folder below drivers, it worked for me.

0 Kudos
grog
Contributor
Contributor

Enable MS DTC and start the service

Then try to re-run the install. Should work...

Thanks for the fix...

MW

0 Kudos
mcdonamw
Contributor
Contributor

I am having an issue similar to this but none of the posted solutions seem to work. My problem may be a little different though. When I kick off the VMTools installation, it gets to the point of registering the VMware snapshot provider, the line "Searching for admin group using WMI..." specifically, the WMIPRVSE.exe service immediately shoots to 100% cpu and the install just freezes.

If I close the cmd window that is attempting the registration of the service, it is at this point I get the error 1722, problem installing VCBshapshot service, etc.

I've done the manual registration by copying the files locally and initiating the COMREG string and it works perfectly fine. The issue only surfaces through the VMTools installation itself. As such I cannot install the VMTools.

Anyone have any other ideas? What would make the wmiprvse.exe service lock up during the installation? I've tried all solutions provided here to no avail. I also have my antivirus disabled.

If it helps, this particular VM was moved from VMServer 2.0 to ESX 3.5.2. I uninstalled the v2.0 VMTools before I migrated.

TIA,

Matthew

I forgot to reply, but it turns out that I fixed my own issue. I reinstalled the VM tools without the snapshot component and the tools installed fine. I then re-ran the installer adding the snapshot component and it too installed fine at that point. Not a fix, but seems to have been the only thing that worked for me.

0 Kudos
anh2lua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just had the same issue and just got resolved, quite simple for me.

First, check your Component Services under Administrative Tools (providing you are running Windows Server 2003, SP2 or R2 or both) to see if the COM services are running. Expand Component Services, Computers, My Computer

. If it has a red down arrow, it is not running, then you can try this solution. Otherwise, I don't know what else u can try because it stopped here for me, since it resolved my issue.

Go to Services, under Administrative Tools, sort by Log on, and on the bottom of the list, you should be seeing some services using Network Service as logon account.

Make sure you have Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Remote Procedure Call, Remote Procedure Call Locator services logged on with Network Service account (this is the local account, with no password. Just browse to the account, and clear the password fields.)

Restart the server and check the Component Services again. If it show running (no down red arrow), u should be able to install the VMware Tools with VSS option now.

0 Kudos
Zeringue
Contributor
Contributor

The solution that worked for my VM (Windows 2003 OS) was to start the following services.

- Distributed Transaction Coordinaton.

- COM+ System Application.

I did not have the MSDTC.exe file so the service did not start, copied the file from another server. Service started, VMware tools installed.

Mark

0 Kudos
eziemann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was running into this problem, only on Vista, when doing an unattended install as part of my build script.

I fixed it by having it skip the VSS component. Here is the command line for it:

msiexec.exe -i "VMware Tools.msi" /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=VSS,vmdesched,WYSE REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MrEHere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution that worked for my VM (Windows 2003 OS) was to start the following services.

• Distributed Transaction Coordinaton.

• COM+ System Application.

Both services were set to DISABLED. I set them to AUTOMATIC, started them up, and then the install worked perfectly.

0 Kudos