mso-default-props:yes;

font-size:10.0pt;

mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;

mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;}

@page Section1

div.Section1

-->

When I tried to install the VMware Tools on

x64 Windows Server 2003 SP2 , the following error was logged in the event logs and the

VMware Tools failed to installed properly:

“Product: VMware Tools – Error 1722. There is a problem with

this Windows Installer packager. A program run as part of the setup did not

finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action

VM_RegisterVCBSnapshotProviderService, location:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI67.temp, command: -register “C:\Program Files

(x86)\VMware\VMWare Tools\Drivers\vcc\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll” “VMware Snapshot

Provider” “vmvss” “VMware Snapshot Provider””

ESX/VC 3.5 Update 2 is the version that I am running. I never encountered such an issue before the upgrade.

Kindly let me know the cause of this error.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
52 Replies
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I tried to install the VMware Tools on

x64 Windows Server 2003 SP2 , the following error was logged in the event logs and the

VMware Tools failed to installed properly:

“Product: VMware Tools – Error 1722. There is a problem with

this Windows Installer packager. A program run as part of the setup did not

finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action

VM_RegisterVCBSnapshotProviderService, location:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI67.temp, command: -register “C:\Program Files

(x86)\VMware\VMWare Tools\Drivers\vcc\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll” “VMware Snapshot

Provider” “vmvss” “VMware Snapshot Provider””

ESX/VC 3.5 Update 2 is the version that I am running. I never encountered such an issue before the upgrade.

Hi,

I was just about to post the same error here because Google was turning up nothing for me when I saw your post. I'm having the same issue but I'm using Windows Server 2003 Std x86. I had upgraded my tools to the newest vesion included with 3.5u2 and then I was doing a Modification of the install (to install the VSS Snap Component) when I got this error. Reboots arent helping. I tried deleting temp files and also uninstalling tools and doing a fresh install, I get the same error if I try to intall the VSS component. I'm going to call VMware on it, ill post anything I get here.

The only thing I can do now is leave the VSS Provider Component off the machine. Sad thing is, thats why I was upgrading in the forst place... to get that component installed :(:_|

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas?

-Scott

0 Kudos
UnisonNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Guys

Anyone get anywhere with this? I am getting the same error...

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
xivan31
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

Any solutions ?

0 Kudos
UnisonNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Guys

You could try the following, although it didnt work for me, I believe it can resolve the issue in some environments:

Open registry editor, locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3, and then delete this key.

From the Start menu, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.

Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

Proceed through the wizard, and accept all of the defaults. (COM is reconfigured)

Restart the computer.

Install Vmware Tools

Would be interested to hear how others get on here...

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

Your steps did not solve the problem either...

I am surprised that no one from VMWare has responded to this post. Moreover, I also emailed the VMWare Support team with my company's partnership information and VMWare has still not responded back...very strange.

0 Kudos
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, could you give me you VC or VI version. And are you getting this error while installing tools from VC or VI. I am trying to reproduce your issue. Are you also getting this error on linux VMs?

Thanks

Selva

0 Kudos
xivan31
Contributor
Contributor

Hi david,

Your solution works perfectly for me.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

VC Version: 2.5.0 Build 104215

And are you getting this error while installing tools from VC or VI?

Basically, my VI is logged on to the VC.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UnisonNZ - THANKS!! it worked for us!

BTW - where did you get that fix from? I couldnt find anything on it.

0 Kudos
UnisonNZ
Contributor
Contributor

The fix came from hp - our vmware support is with them..... glad it working for some people - would love it to work for me!

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

shoot... I take it back. this worked for one server, the other 4 that are having this issue are atill getting the same error after resetting COM... ARGH!

0 Kudos
nicjoh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue.

Have you tried to turn on MSDTC service? It worked with some of my machines while others dont't bother if MSDTC is turned on or off.

For example my DC1 worked fine when i started MSDTC while DC2 still report error 1722, strange...

I am still waiting for a reliable fix from Vmware support.

Cheers

Niclas

0 Kudos
beeke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had a similar problem when installing the tools on a vista ultimate 64 bits guest on a 3.5i fully patched host.

The things I did (the administrator & UAC bit applies to vista, so might not be relevant for all of you):

-enabled the local administrator account and used that to install the tools (nice link to a howto: ), no luck.

-disabled uac (another link: ), no luck.

After that I checked the eventlog on the guest and found an error in the application log (event id 33, source SideBySide):

Description:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBRequestor.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I found out (through eventid.net) that this could mean some C libraries cannot be found: "If the error refers to "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80..." then it is Microsoft Visual C v8.0 (a.k.a. MS Visual C++ 2005)."

Download C++ 2005 SP1 (that's the correct version: ), installed it and got rid of the event.......... But not of the error 1722 :-((

Tried the MSDTC thingy, nope..

Removed the COM3 registry entry and couldn't get it back. Vista seems to have another type of add/remove programs with even a different name (ARGH!).

Finally I gave up, shutted the guest and went home (sob).

This morning I thought I'd give it one more try. First no luck but then I realized I tried the custom and full instal, but not the typical. Tried that and it worked like a charme!

So I'm not really sure if just doing the typical install would have been enough in the first place, or that one of the other thing I changed did the trick. I just thought I'd post it and perhaps be able to help somebody with this problem.

Good luck,

Ernie

0 Kudos
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I have found out so far:

As someone pointed out earlier run the following steps:

1. Open registry editor, locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3, and then delete this key.

2. From the Start menu, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.

3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

4.Proceed through the wizard, and accept all of the defaults. (COM is reconfigured)

5. Restart the computer.

After the restart perform the following steps:

1. Run the VMware Tools installation

2. If the installation fails, create a folder called C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers. (Note: the C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Tools folder is there even after a failed installation)

3. Explore the VMware tools CD

4. Browse to the folder C:\Program Files\VMware\VMWare Tools\Drivers

5. Copy the VSS folder to the Drivers Folder created in Step 1

6. Copy the comreg.exe file to the C:\Temp.

7. Run the following command

<C:\Temp> comreg.exe -register "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"

8. Re-run the VMWare Tools installation

I believe you will need to get in touch with the VMware Support team in order to get a copy of comreg.exe.

Let me know how it goes. Right now this is a temporary fix.

0 Kudos
pbctech
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me as well. The vm was created from an old ibm server and placed on an hp dl 380 g5. I was getting the 1722 error. Followed the steps you listed and it worked with no issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
avidale
Contributor
Contributor

hello I try to do this but I don't find comreg.exe....

my error is

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11722

Date: 13/10/2008

Time: 11.54.56

User: .....

Computer: ......

Description:

Product: VMware Tools -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action VM_RegisterVCBSnapshotProviderService, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI3A.tmp, command: -register "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll" "VMware Snapshot Provider" "vmvss" "VMware Snapshot Provider"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 7b 33 42 34 31 30 35 30 {3B41050

0008: 30 2d 31 38 30 32 2d 34 0-1802-4

0010: 38 38 45 2d 39 45 46 31 88E-9EF1

0018: 2d 34 42 31 31 39 39 32 -4B11992

0020: 45 30 34 34 30 7d E0440}

this machine was imported from phisical machine!

thanks!

0 Kudos
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

I believe that you will need to contact VMWare Support for a copy of the comreg.exe file.

0 Kudos
avidale
Contributor
Contributor

ok, but I'm not sure if it'll help me for the problem!

I'm going to obtain that file... thanks

0 Kudos
LordGA
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have the answer to this question.

I had the same issue with two systems that were Physical ---&gt; Virtual and once converted I tried to install VMTools and received the Error 1722. It's a very easy fix, especially if you do not have VSS installed. Now in response to "QVM2008" and "UnisonNZ" there fixes definitely helped me with one system, but I still continued to have to installation error 1722 with the other. I really looked closely into QVM2008's posting where Steps 5-7 are. If you do not have VSS, simply do not install it! During your install of VMTools select &gt; CUSTOM-&gt;Find VSS option-&gt; Right Click--&gt; Do not install feature --&gt; Next.

Your install will run smoothly.:D

0 Kudos