VMware Cloud Community
Gustavo_Souza_L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enable or Disable Independent Mode

Hi,

I would like to know what the differency between enable the Independent Mode or not. I know if I enable the Independent Mode I lost the snapshot's advantage.

In which situations I can use the Independent Mode and in which I can't use??

Please help me to answer this question...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay..now I understood.

One more question please...the independent Persistent write directly at the disk, doesn't it?? YES

And the non-independent write at the disk too?? Depends on whether its being snapshot (see above)

It's as secure as Independent Persistent?? Only if you commit the changes in snapshot mode, works exactly like ind. persistent when you are not using snapshots.

Performance Tuning Best Practices for ESX Server 3

Page 9

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you select Independent Mode, you can choose one of the following:

Persistent - Disks in persistent mode behave like conventional disk drives on your physical computer. All data written to a disk in persistent mode are written out permanently to the disk.

Nonpersistent - Changes to disks in nonpersistent mode are not saved to the disks, but are lost when the virtual machine is powered off or reset.

Nonpersistent mode is for users who want to start with a virtual machine in the same state. Example of uses include providing known environments for software test, demonstrating software and an internet cafe machine.

Regards

Leafy911

Gustavo_Souza_L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Leafy911 for the answer.

But if I don't use the Independent Mode. What are the advantages and the disadvantages of my choice??

Regards..

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think you can really list advantages or disadvantages until you define what you are trying to achieve. If you don't use independent mode then the disk will be affected by snapshots. This is useful for when you are testing new software or patches and want the option of rolling back to the previous state.

To summarise:

Non-independent > Affected by changes and you can rollback to previous state (good for testing)

Independent Persistent > Affected by changes with no ability to rollback (good for perhaps an area where you want to keep log files)

Independent Non-Persistent > Affected by changes but reverts to previous state after the vm is power off or restarted (good for when you want the vm to revert to its original state after use)

Regards

Leafy911

Gustavo_Souza_L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay..now I understood.

One more question please...the independent Persistent write directly at the disk, doesn't it?? And the non-independent write at the disk too?? It's as secure as Independent Persistent??

Regards

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay..now I understood.

One more question please...the independent Persistent write directly at the disk, doesn't it?? YES

And the non-independent write at the disk too?? Depends on whether its being snapshot (see above)

It's as secure as Independent Persistent?? Only if you commit the changes in snapshot mode, works exactly like ind. persistent when you are not using snapshots.

Performance Tuning Best Practices for ESX Server 3

Page 9

Regards

Leafy911

0 Kudos
Gustavo_Souza_L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the help.

0 Kudos
iYas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kindly advise:

I have a server with OS & App on a datastore.

I need a secondary drive (10 TB in slots of 2TB on SAN) to dump data on it.

If i do not choose Independent Mode, will it not be a waste of disk to make snapshots?

thanks for our reply

0 Kudos