VMware Cloud Community
TravisT81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi guest NIC Speeds

Hi,

I'm very new to the vmware stuff, but have heard things about it and wanted to give it a shot. I have got ESXi 3.5u3 up and running on a single core, single processor (AMD Opteron 64, 1.8GHz) server. I currently have two vm's configured (both server2k3 ent 32-bit). The first of the two is running pretty well. I'm having trouble with the second one.

The one odd thing I noticed was that the first (guest) server shows a 1GB/s NIC installed. The adapter settings are set to auto. The second guest server shows 10MB/s NIC, and it won't let me change it in the adapter settings. The host machine has two NIC's but only one is currently connected, and it's running at 100 full duplex. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Travis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Travis, welcome to the VMware Community forums. Have you installed VMware Tools in the 2nd VM?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Travis, welcome to the VMware Community forums. Have you installed VMware Tools in the 2nd VM?

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi. Something sounds a little funny with the setup. First thing would be to verify that you have the VMware Client Tools installed in both of the VMs. Then verify that the network adapter configured in both of the VMs is the "Enhanced vmxnet" driver, and that the network adapter is set to "Connect at power on". That will give you the optimal network throughput for your VMs. If the NICs are not currently set to "Enhanced vmxnet" you'll have to shutdown the VMs, delete the current Network Adapter and add a new one using "Enhanced vmxnet". You may also need to go back into the VMs after the change and fixup the IP settings, etc...

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As the others have pointd out make sur ethat VMWare Tools is installed into both VMs - also with a single CPU single Core CPU upi will definitely run into performance issues and will not get a good sense of what virtualization can do for you -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TravisT81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had not yet installed vmware tools, and didn't know that it effected the network adapter. That fixed the problem I was seeing! Also, I realize that this isn't a very powerful server, but for running 2-3 guest OS's would it not be powerful enough? Thanks,

TravisT

0 Kudos