VMware Cloud Community
Nuzvee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 7.0 installer does not detect disks (installing on a VM, hosted by a ESXi 5.5 host)

To summarize why i even bother with this, it is a old lab environment with a ESXi5.5 server which i cannot upgrade since it is not owned by me. I need to setup a ESXi 7.0 for educational reasons.

With that in mind, to the issue at hand: As stated in the subject, i need to install ESXi 7.0 in a VM that is hosted on a ESXi 5.5 host, when booting the ESXi 7.0 installer, all is fine, i get prompted with the EULA but when i am prompted to select which disk to install on, no disks appear.

I were able to install ESXi 6.7 on this VM, so there is no issue with the VM itself.

I have attempted:

• Install using a HPE custom ESXi image.
  • with ESXi image builder, add pretty much all available extra drivers from VMware.
  • All form of different settings on the 5.5 host in regards to how the VM boots, how and where the datastore for the virtual disks would be stored etc etc.

The ESXi 5.5 hypervisor is hosted on a a HPE BL460 g9 server.

It seems it simply is not possible and the only reason i haven't given it up is that this is my only way to setup a lab environment, there simply are no alternatives available to me.

The reason why it must be ESXi 7.0 is both related to its features but also for license availability.

Is there any way to resolve this or is it simply not possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Change/replace the ESXi 7.0 VM's HDD controller to a Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI).
While modifying the settings, yo may also want to use VMXNET3 network adapters.
With these settings you should be able to install from an original VMware ESXi 7.0 image (not the HPE customized one).

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Change/replace the ESXi 7.0 VM's HDD controller to a Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI).
While modifying the settings, yo may also want to use VMXNET3 network adapters.
With these settings you should be able to install from an original VMware ESXi 7.0 image (not the HPE customized one).

André

Nuzvee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANK YOU!
It worked, i have no idea how i did not think of the controller and got stuck on the disks themselfes but that resolved it, thank you very much! 😄

0 Kudos