VMware Cloud Community
davidcstanton
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 Update 1/vSphere Client 4.1 Update 1 - Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1

SP1 for both Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 just released however I just downloaded the ISO from MSFT for the products WITH SP1 and when I built a guest OS, it didn't automatically install SP1.  Is version 4.1 Update 1 compatible and/or what are the plans to incorporate it into the guest OS options?  Let me know.   Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 supports SP1. From http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vc41_u1_rel_notes.html:

This release of VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 offers the following improvements:

• Additional Guest Operating System Customization Support: vCenter Server now supports customization of the following guest operating systems:
    • Windows 7 SP1 (x32 and x64)
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x32 and x64)
    • RHEL 6.0 (x32 and x64)
    • RHEL5.5 (x32 and x64)
Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
davidcstanton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yep, I saw the release notes that is why I am confused.  When using the vSphere client 4.1 Update 1, when I add a new VM, the guest OS does not include a choice for the operating systems you mentioned that include SP1.  If I have an ISO that includes SP1 (from MSDN downloads), I ran the installation and no SP1 was indicated when I right-click my computer in Windows when I finished installing (see my pic below it is an ISO with SP1).  How do I verify that SP1 was installed??

-Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) <the SP1 is missing>

-Windows 7 <the SP1 is missing>

Thanks for your help, this might be an issue with the ISO I downloaded but MSFT told me the ISO should install and indicate SP1.  Here are some screen shots of the situation...

options.jpg

about.jpg

iso.jpg

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

when I add a new VM, the guest OS does not include a choice for the operating systems you mentioned that include SP1.  If I have an ISO that includes SP1 (from MSDN downloads), I ran the installation and no SP1 was indicated when I right-click my computer in Windows when I finished installing (see my pic below it is an ISO with SP1).  How do I verify that SP1 was installed??

SPs do not get separate entries in the guest OS choice list (notice how 2003 SPs and XP SPs are not listed either though they are supported) so this is normal (VMware supporting a specific version only means QA has tested and signed off that it works such that VMware will support it). As for why the system does not state SP1 after installed, I am not sure. It could the ISO being used. Maybe this will help: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/RegistryTips/Miscellaneous/Determineser....

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
Zero0ne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From time to time Microsoft has added new features with the installation of the Service Pack but for the most part, Service Packs are just a hotfix rollups.  Instead of installing Windows Server 2008 R2 and 50+ hotfix's to get your system all patched up, you can install just a single package and recieve the same fix's.

It's really why I would only expect that selecting the base OS from the drop down list should support the OS + any Hotfix/Service Pack that ever comes out for that OS.  Not sure that this is helpful but it might explain why you don't (or won't) see individual Service Pack levels from the OS dropdown list.

Cheers,

Ken

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

This release of VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 offers the  following improvements:

• Additional Guest Operating  System Customization Support: vCenter Server now supports  customization of the following guest operating systems:
    • Windows 7  SP1 (x32 and x64)
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x32 and x64)
    • RHEL  6.0 (x32 and x64)
    • RHEL5.5 (x32 and x64)

There is no 32 Bit version of 2008 R2, it is strictly 64 bit only!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
davidcstanton
Contributor
Contributor

This has to be the ISO from MSFT...so can someone try to build a new VM and configure a guest OS with a Windows 7 or 2008 R2 ISO bundled with SP1 and see if once installed, they can verify that SP1 has been installed automatically?  The issue still remains and I cannot verify if SP1 is installed cause there is no way that I can figure this out through the registry (sent in a previous thread) nor is it indicated when I check My Computer settings (it just says Windows Server 2008 R2).  I can get SP1 installed by manually downloading the SP1 files and installing, so yes I understand it is supported.

It just difficult to determine right now whether this is a MSFT or VM issue...hopefully it's just a MSFT issue...

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

Run "MSINFO32.exe" from the command prompt. Look at the version under System Summary. It should show "6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601".

This was built with an Windows 2008 R2 w/SP1 iso downloaded from the MS volume licensing site

0 Kudos