VMware Cloud Community
cmorris05
Contributor
Contributor

ESX XP VM more than 2 vprocs?

I have a piece of software I would like to run on an XP VM, however I need to have 4 processors. Does VMware not support more then 2 processors on an XP VM? If I use a Server 2003 VM and install XP with 4 procs will that cause a problem?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

the number of processors that can be used by the guest OS is usually determined by the amount of processors on the ESX host. If you have 4 on the host you should be able to add them. I think XP pro can support 2 Physical Processors, and up to 4 logical processors. Meaning you can have 2 processor with hypterthreading enabled

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

ESX supports 1,2 or 4 virtual processors - so you can build a VM with 4 virtual CPUs but if the operating system does not support 4 CPUs than you will be wasting resources and negatively impacting the perfomance of the VM - I do not believe XP supports more than 2 CPUs - Server 2003 I know supports 4 CPUs - the question I have is what application you are running in that requires 4 CPUs? VMware best practice is to use as few processors as possible for your VM - I tell all my clients to start wth a single virtual CPU and see how the perfomance is and add virtual CPUs if only needed -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
cmorris05
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help, I realized I made a stupid mistake. I was thinking processors along the lines of Dual and Quad Core, but since those are still on one processor, XP still sees it as one processor.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

PS - you can mark individual posts as correct (up to 1 post) / helpful (up to 2 posts). That will assign points to the users that helped you out.

0 Kudos