VMware Cloud Community
jmmarton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.0.2, clones, and snaphots

In preparation of upgrading to ESX 3.5, I want to go and remove all the snaphots from my various guests where I have snapshots. I never realized that after a period of time you should delete snapshots, so I've got quite a few sitting around. Someone recommended I make a backup of my guests first by cloning them in case deleting (and committing) the snapshots causes data corruption. At the same time, we've got a new SAN, so in the end all virtual machines are going to be moved to the new SAN. That being said, here's my question.

If I make a clone, and point the clone to the new SAN, do I need to even worry about deleting the snapshots from the original VM and then moving it to the new SAN? Can't I just rename the original, use the original name for the clone, point the clone to the new storage, then fire up the clone when I'm done and after that delete the original VM altogether? Will the clone contain all of the committed snapshot data?

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cloning a VM with snaps will consolodate all snaps into the clone, so yes, you can just clone to the new storage and you'll get all of your data in the clone.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can't move a VM that has snapshots to new storage. I'm not sure if you can clone a VM with snapshots. Either way, I've never had a VM get corrupted by creating or deleting snapshots.

0 Kudos
jmmarton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can't move a VM that has snapshots to new storage. I'm not sure if you can clone a VM with snapshots. Either way, I've never had a VM get corrupted by creating or deleting snapshots.

You can definitely clone a VM that has snapshots. I've been doing it the past two days. Smiley Happy But I think the fact you can't move a VM that has snapshots is why this guy recommended I clone (or at least somehow make a backup copy) of the VM and then delete the snapshots. That way it will be ready to be moved.

As far as corruption, he says he's only seen it in some VMs with very large virtual disks, especially database servers. It apparently doesn't happen often but it does happen enough for him to be cautious. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution even if there's only a 1 in 100,000 chance of it happening.

So the only question at this point is does my clone have all the committed snapshotted data? If so, I can just create the clone on the new storage and be done with it. If not, then after creating the clone I have to delete the snapshots from the original and then move the original to new storage. Just trying to save time if possible.

Joe

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cloning a VM with snaps will consolodate all snaps into the clone, so yes, you can just clone to the new storage and you'll get all of your data in the clone.

0 Kudos
jmmarton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

Joe

0 Kudos