VMware Cloud Community
ejward
Expert
Expert

Don't have permissions to create a VM ..... as administrator

I setup a new datacenter in Virtual Center (v2.0.2). I added 1 host to this datacenter. I set up an ID as an administrator of the datacenter. When i use this ID to try to create a VM, on the "Select name and Location for VM" screen, the "next" button is gray'd out? Any ideas? The ID is from Active Directory. I had been trying to give this ID the least amount of permissions to create a VM and worked my way right up to Administrator without luck.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the user defined higher (i.e. at the root) of the VC tree and/or in a group that is defined in the datacenter? That's usually where i've seen issues in granting permissions for users/groups, where a conflicting group will be added in somewhere in the tree, effectively limiting a higher level of access for a group of people inadvertently. Remember: when it comes to group permissions and potential conflicts, the lower level ACL will always win unless that userid is defined explicitly in the object..

-Steve
0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

Actually, this isn't a new datacenter. It's a new cluster below our single datacenter. The cluster only has a single host with no VM's. I put the ID at the cluster level and that didn't work. Then, I gave the ID admin rights right on the host. No dice. When I moved the ID up to the datacenter level, it worked. I just don't get it.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

Ok, I opened up an SR with VMware. After fiddling around with things and getting no results, they told me I had to create a whole new datacenter. I was told that I have to give this user "Browse Datastore" rights at the datacenter level then, give them admin rights on the ESX host itself. This works however, the user can see all 150 VM's. I only need them to see and manage a few VMs on their own server. I'm not confident that the tech I was working with had any idea. He kept using phrases like "Well, in the documentation it looks like....." and "When I tried it......"

0 Kudos