VMware Cloud Community
2Charlie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does virtual Windows Server 2012 cause file sharing to not function?

I have been following several tutorials on Youtube as well as online instruction and so far file sharing is not working under Windows Server 2012 which is being virtualized by VMWare ESXi 5.I don't think it would but I just want to double check everything. Below is the message I kept getting:

Share-AccessDenied.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
2Charlie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mustafa wrote:

On "disable the HotPlug capability on the virtual machine" below are the Symptoms

• The Safely Remove Hardware option for the virtual hardware appears in the Windows System Tray.

Yes, I checked and both C and D drive shows up under the "Safely Remove Hardware" options. So questions:

1. If both C and D are both removable, why is C drive works but not D drive?
  2. If I disabled the HotPlug, that does not mean when the disk fails I can't pull out and put in a new disk (assuming I shut the Windows Server OS off before doing so), correct?
  3. Do I power off the Windows server 2012 guest OS before disabling the HotPlug?
  4. Can I easily enable HotPlug again if when Microsoft fix this problem without causing other problems?
0 Kudos
Thayal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got the solution, have tested / Implemented

Ignore my request.

0 Kudos
Khatib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, I will be gratefull if you share your solution.

I have the same issue with my network shares mounted on disks other than the C drive.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Khatib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

I have encountered the same issue for two applications after migrating a physical file server towards a virtual one.

The applications work with a INI file where the applications paths are defined.

The paths were defined as follow \\server_name\homedir\username\APPLIC~1 (8.3 dos format). I have used Processor Monitor to diagnose this issue. The path was translated as follow \\;LanmanRedirector\;P:000000000154ea2e\server_name\homedir\APPLICATION_NAME with a PATH NOT FOUND error.

I have changed the path definition as follow \\server_name\homedir\username\APPLICATION_NAME (real name of the application which has more than 8 characters).

The applications function correctly now.

0 Kudos