VMware Cloud Community
bluerayconcepts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does MAC address of guest os ever change

I have seen some older discussions on this from back in 2011 and 2014 and there have been varying answers.  The data Center I am using is doing some network changes and is assigning IP addresses by MAC address.  So we are having to go in and assign our machine MACs to our existing IPs.

My question is can I use the auto assigned MAC address from VMware or does it change everytime it reboots?

Would it be better to just go in and assign a custom MAC?

Can I just copy the existing Auto MAC and apply it as a custom MAC?

One article I read said that the MAC is written to the vmx file but I have also read of others having issue with the MAC changing.  Most of these are older so I am just wanting some confirmation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

My question is can I use the auto assigned MAC address from VMware or does it change everytime it reboots?

You can use the autocreated MAC address. It may only change if you manually unregister a VM from a host, and register it to another one. In this case you will be asked whether you moved, or copied the VM. In case you answer with "I copied it", the VM will get a new MAC address to avoid duplicates.

That's usually not necessary, but it may be a good idea if you use e.g. software which is licensed by the VM's MAC address.

No, at least not without manual modifications in the VMs settings. VMware uses different ranges for manually, and auto-assigned MAC addresses.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The MAC is tied to the vNIC and it does not change with reboots. It would be catastrophic if it did, after all. But to me your whole reason for doing this is very sketchy when you say

The data Center I am using is doing some network changes and is assigning IP addresses by MAC address.  So we are having to go in and assign our machine MACs to our existing IPs.

What are you doing here, exactly?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can use the autocreated MAC address. It may only change if you manually unregister a VM from a host, and register it to another one. In this case you will be asked whether you moved, or copied the VM. In case you answer with "I copied it", the VM will get a new MAC address to avoid duplicates.

That's usually not necessary, but it may be a good idea if you use e.g. software which is licensed by the VM's MAC address.

No, at least not without manual modifications in the VMs settings. VMware uses different ranges for manually, and auto-assigned MAC addresses.

André

0 Kudos
bluerayconcepts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a.p..

Was just looking for confirmation.  It didn't make sense that it would but you never know unless you ask.

0 Kudos