VMware Cloud Community
vvarnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disconnected host, live VM's; HOW TO MOVE!

Hi all,

Got a problem. In my 16-host ESX 3.0.2 cluster (VC 2.5) I've got one host that disconnected and will not reconnect no matter what I do (tried restarting mgmt-vmware, vpxa, etc.). The VM's on it are all accessable and running.I need to be able to get the VM's back over to the other hosts, even if I need to power each one off individually.

I need a strategy/method to move the VM's without removing either the VM's or the host from VirtualCenter.

Ideas?

VwV

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can manually power down the virtual machines and unregister them using vmware-cmd from the console.

This will unregister them from the ESX host although if that host can't communicate with VC it won't update the status.

You could then register them on another host and power up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can manually power down the virtual machines and unregister them using vmware-cmd from the console.

This will unregister them from the ESX host although if that host can't communicate with VC it won't update the status.

You could then register them on another host and power up.

0 Kudos
vvarnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got the first part of the process but how would I "reattach" them in VirtualCenter without changing the name of the VM's?

VwV

0 Kudos
Pmarsha1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hostd is probably hung. Kill hostd then restart the mgmt-vmware service

You should then find the host is reconnected in Virtual Center

HTH

Paul