Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Difference between .vmdk and -flat.vmdk

What is the difference between -vmdk and -flat.vmdk

9 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

One is a pointer to the other - The reason for having 2 is something to do with management of thin disks (I think)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

almost all of the different virtual disk types use a separate descriptor-file because it is easier to handle than embedded descriptor-files.

For more info see http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk/disktypes.html

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the .vmdk file is a stub file or descriptive file as was mentioned.

the -flat file is the actial virtual disk file

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
jalali
Contributor
Contributor

The .vmdk file (also called the descriptor) is a text file that contains configuration information about a VM’s virtual hard drive. The *-flat.vmdk file is the virtual equivalent of a physical hard drive, this is where raw data is written to. You won’t find this file listed in Directory Browser. It is instead combined with the descriptor file and presented as a single file.

0 Kudos
payman
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK files. All virtual disks are made up of two files, a large data file equal to the size of the virtual disk and a small text disk descriptor file, which describes the size and geometry of the virtual disk file. The descriptor file also contains a pointer to the large data file as well as information on the virtual disks drive sectors, heads, cylinders and disk adapter type. In most cases these files will have the same name as the data file that it is associated with (i.e., myvm_1.vmdk and myvm_1-flat.vmdk). You can match the descriptor file to the data file by checking the Extent Description field in this file to see which -flat, -rdm or -delta file is linked to it.

https://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/Understanding-the-files-that-make-up-a-VMware-virtual-machin...

0 Kudos
lurk_skywalker
Contributor
Contributor

node7 has two disks listed in config, in a datastore default thin provision

node7-000001.vmdk
node7_2-000001.vmdk

Do I have wasted space/orphan files here?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You should open an new fresh thread with your question. Please provide the output of

ls -alh

and

grep vmdk *.vmx

It looks like that you create a snap 2 month ago and have not deleted it since.

maksym007
Expert
Expert

In case you will lose or damage your flat. vmdk you can lost your data. Only backup will be able to assist.

0 Kudos
lurk_skywalker
Contributor
Contributor

that was it. thank you for the reply, and sorry for intruding in this thread.

0 Kudos