VMware Cloud Community
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Difference between Memory and Memory Limit Resource

Hi all.

I was thinking about set up amount of memory to my virtual machines and limit them in Limit Resource.

For example, give 256M RAM to a VM is equal to give 512 and limit in 256M?

In the second case, my guest OS see all 512M, right? If my guest need more memory, because it think have 512, ESX will use swap?

Thanks.

Eduardo

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Exactly!

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

limit is a cap on consumption of memory - so to answer your questions yes both will limt the vms access to 256 MB and and it is my understanding that no the vmkernel will not swap put memory to get tot he available memory of 512

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi.

Thanks about your answer. Smiley Happy

So, can I consider to set up like 4G/8G to all my virtual machines and limit all to just they realy need, like 512M/1G? This way, if a virtual machine need more RAM, I dont need to shutdown to increase memory, right?

Regards,

Eduardo

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Exactly!

0 Kudos