VMware Cloud Community
mrdenny
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying Windows XP machine from template

Hello all,

I'm having problems deploying a Windows XP machine using the template which I've setup. My Windows 2003 Server templates work perfectly, but my XP templates don't work. I run through the wizzard without error, but when the new XP machine boots up it sits at the Windows XP Setup window which says please wait...

I found this blog which points to two hot fixes.

I've downloaded and installed these hot fixes, but when I deploy the VM I get the same problem. I have installed the VMWare tools on the template prior to deployment.

Thanks,

Denny

0 Kudos
10 Replies
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Might be a long shot, but look in the sysprep files in the resources folder on the VC Server. Do you have the XP Sysprep files there?

mrdenny
Contributor
Contributor

I don't seam to have anything in the XP folder. I've got the correct versions in the 1.1 folder and the 2003 folder. What version of sysprep should go in the XP folder?

I thought I had put something in there.

Thanks,

Denny

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Here are the sysprep files for xp

0 Kudos
mrdenny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the iso. It doesn't appear to have helped any. When I deploy a new machine I get to the same point and it stalls and Please wait..

I assumed that I should have simply dropped the contents of the ISO into the XP folder in "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp"?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have anything is my xp folder either, but it works just fine. I am running 3.0.2.

Also, after adding the files, try restarting your Virtual Center Server service if possible.

See if this attachment helps.

mrdenny
Contributor
Contributor

We actually had a power outage on Saturday so everything was down for the day (VMWare is in the office not the CoLo, yet). It's still sitting on the please wait screen. I'll read the PDF tomorrow. Thanks for posting it for me.

0 Kudos
mrdenny
Contributor
Contributor

Well I found the problem. Apparently there was some setting or patch on the template OS it self which didn't like sysprep. I built another template from scratch (without knowing what else to try) and it's working fine with the deployment after fully patching it.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
jamesprice3
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have any specific insight into what is causing this... rebuilding the entire template is not an option for me at this point...

0 Kudos
AndyWu
Contributor
Contributor

i tried to build a new template still no go. Doesn't seem to use sysprep at all. I put the correct version of sysprep from xp sp2 in the xp folder on virtual center for sysprep. No Dice. This is getting frustrating.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Look at my last post above.. Basically the issue is with third party crud tied to the nics. Ensure that you don't have anything like "Deterministic Network Enhancer" or "Trend firewall blah blah" tied to your NIC in the vm. Either uncheck them or uninstall them and you should be fine. Just note that after cloning/sysprepping it will take two boots now and it will wait up to a few minutes at the main login screen before issuing a reboot. Let me know if either of these situations helps... good luck.. Kyle

0 Kudos