VMware Cloud Community
CarstenW
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy from template using sysprep options not available in wizard

Hi there!

I have the following requirement and have no idea how to do it:

I would like to deploy virtual machines from a template, which is sysprepped, and use the feature that the deployed machine gets it's name from how I call it in Virtual Center during the deployment (well that's a plain vanilla feature of the VC wizard). But at the same time I would like to use custom sysprep settings, which are not available through the wizard, e.g. to add the deployed machine to a special OU in Active Directory. So, if I use the wizard, I'll get my NetBIOS machine name = Virtual Machine name but the machine will end up in the AD standard container. On the other hand if I use a custom sysprep.inf file, I can't name my virtual Windows machine like I call it in VC (well I could rename it after Windows is running, but that's not the idea).

Is there any means of mixing wizard and custom sysprep.inf?

Kind regards

Carsten

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

This .pdf may help shed some light on a couple questions

CarstenW
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the instant reply, but I think the document does not solve the problem, for:

1) if the solution lies in the customization .xml files I have been unable to find it. Putting in the sysprep option "MachineObjectOU" in a syntax which I think is compliant to the rest is not getting nowhere Smiley Sad

2) I would like to avoid a script to join a domain after mini-setup, for we use DHCP and everything is running smooth by just using sysprep and: I would like to cover virtual deployments the same way I do with real ones

Carsten

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so assuming you have sealed your VM with mini setup. You can covert that machine to a template. When you deploy off that template, you can choose in the "gusest customization" wizard to "Customize using the Customization Wizard". This will allow you to join the VM to a domain. You can also save the customization specication at the end, so that any other deployments you make you can use that existing specification.

We have a DHCP segment we deploy to and we have never had any issues joining the vPC to the Domain using this method

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Hey ,

Any luck in getting this issue fixed?

0 Kudos
CarstenW
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not, Troy.

At least not the way I would like it. IMHO the problem is, that VMware builds a sysprep.inf during deployment with the - somewhat limited set of - variables the wizard offers and static parts. There seems to be no chance to set values for the static parts and thus substitute with what I want.

Wizards are a nice things at least for the sorcerer's apprentice but....

Carsten

0 Kudos
mphodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Carsten,

I am trying to do the exact same thing as you - use the VC machine name as the PC name, but create it in a specific OU in AD.

If I use the VMware wizard, I get the correct PC name in the wrong OU.

If I use the sysprep file, I get the wrong PC name in the correct OU.

It is silly why VMware can't add the extra field or give us more options!

0 Kudos