VMware Cloud Community
chubchub
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy VM from template Windows 7 64b - Your account has been disabled ??

I search on google, even here on the community but don't find anything related to my problem.

It's the first time i get this and found a "workaround" for the moment but i would like to understand where this problem comes from Smiley Happy .

Here's what i'v done :

• create new VM for installing Windows 7 64b (vm 7 / ...)

• install Windows 7 and configure the system normally (power option / folder option / ipv6 disabled / ...)

• i create another local user used to copy the profile of the user "administrator" to the default one (so all user will get the same profile configured)

• i delete the temp local user create juste before

• i shutdown the vm

So, what i have is :

• windows 7 installed (+ updates)

• vmtools installed

• 1 guest user : disabled

• 1 administrator user with *** as password : enabled

When i convert the vm to template, no problem

When i deploy a vm from the template and don't customize it, not problem

When i deploy a vm from the template and customize it, problem starts ... ?:|

I can't login to Windows, the system gives me the error : "Your account has been disabled" . But it's not, if i convert back the template to a vm, i can login, so the account is not disabled. But when i customize manually or with an unattented setup created before, same problem, the administrator account seems to be disabled.

But (and that's the fun part :smileylaugh: ), if i mark this option in the customize window : "Automaticaly log on as the Administrator" and i choose to do this only once, the deploy works well AND i can log in to Windows 7 ; the administrator account is not disabled ...

So, i don't understand the trouble, i already have made template (xp / 2003 / 2008 / 2008 r2) and always use the same procedure, and never get something like that.

If i don't mark the "automatically ...", my Windows 7 template won't work, but as soon as i mark it, enjoy that's good.

Someone got an idea ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jawad420
Contributor
Contributor

By default, windows 7 disables the Administrator account. Only work around that i have been told by various companies (such as UIU that does driver implementation for hadware indepandant imaging), is to use Autologon at least once.

Even if you put that in the unattend.xml to keep the accouont enabled, it will disable the account and leave you with no logon accounts.

One suggestion that i have not tried in my vm environment is to use the options to run commands before the deployment of vm is complete and that is to run the command net user administrator /active:yes

If that helps, awesome, otherwise you will need to change the status to Automatic Logon as Administrator (count 1).

Good luck.

0 Kudos