VMware Cloud Community
tjneese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deploy Template Error

We recently upgraded our ESX servers from 2.5.3 to 3.0.2. We were already using Virtual Center 2.x and we had just upgraded to VC 2.0.2 before the ESX upgrade. After the upgrade, I am unable to deploy a VM from one of our templates. The templates were upgraded along with the VM guests by dmotioning them from the 2.5.3 server on VMFS2 to an ESX 3.0.2 server on VMFS3. We converted the template to a VM, dmotioned it, upgraded the virtual hardware, installed new VM Tools and then converted back to a template.

I also created a new customization template under the VI 3 system. Now when I try to deploy a template, it gets to 96% and gives an error:

"The virtual machine has not virtual disks that are suitable for customization".

I checked the VC server logs and found this:

\[2007-08-14 11:02:36.030 'App' 4104 error] Error: -2147220986

Source: Vmount2.Vmount2Disk

Description: Cannot open virtual storage driver. Make sure it is running.

Context: Looking for windows system partition

I tried a different template and got the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks!

TJ

0 Kudos
3 Replies
balazsberczi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

try to exchange vmx file with a server, that is already running, maybe there should be a 2.5.3 related things rest in the config file.

Or,

did you try to use Converter?

cheers

0 Kudos
tjneese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I don't have any 2.5.3 settings in the .vmx. I even tried creating a new template under VI3 and it gives the same error when I try to deploy with customizations. I verified the customization settings and they look to be fine. I have opened a case with VMware support and I'll post back when I have something to report.

-TJ

0 Kudos
tjneese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I worked with VM Support and we decided to replace the sysprep files I had on our VC server with the version 1.1 sysprep files. I had a folder which contained the Server 2003 sysprep files, but the 1.1 folder was empty. I moved the srv2003 folder and downloaded the recommended sysprep 1.1 from Microsoft. Installed the version 1.1 files on the VC server and I tried to deploy a VM from my previous template, selected my customization file and it worked.

I had not changed anything on the VC server from before the ESX upgrade, but it must work differently when we moved fully to VI3. Hope this helps if anyone else hits this problem.

-TJ

0 Kudos