VMware Cloud Community
PcPixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Defragmentation - How/which should you use?

We've been using VMware for a while now for various servers & things have been going very well. However, I've been wondering about defragmenting the "drives". You have both the drive file in the host operating system as well as the drive within the virtual OS. Should you defragment both? What is the recommended/standard practice for defragmenting virtual drives/files?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You only defragment the guest OS. VMDK files don't need to be defragmented, moving them will defragment anyway.

Use Disk keeper for Windows, Linux there are no defragmentation tools for ext3 format.

0 Kudos
JoeAb
Contributor
Contributor

PerfectDisk 2008 for VMware defragments virtual and host drives, re-indexes and shrinks drive to reclaim space, all with just one installation (www.raxco.com). Also can use PerfectDIsk on ESX guests.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The software you mentions only appears to be of relevance to Workstation and Server users, not ESX

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

"VMDK files don't need to be defragmented"

Depends on how they were created and whether there was contiguous space available when a full size thick vmdk was created in the first place.

I'd say defrag the vmdk using contig just to be sure.

0 Kudos
JoeAb
Contributor
Contributor

PerfectDisk 2008 for VMware works with VMware Workstation and VMware Server, and does the defragmenting, re-indexing and shrinking. The PerfectDisk 2008 for VMware ESX Bundle was released today - licensing by host.

http://www.raxco.com/enterprise/enterprise_perfectdisk_vmware_esx.cfm

0 Kudos
dieterj
Contributor
Contributor

"I'd say defrag the vmdk using contig just to be sure."

Hi Fred.., what do you mean by 'contig' ?

mistype or some other tools that I should know..?

thanx!

0 Kudos
PcPixel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I belive he is referring to a tool by SysInternals (www.sysinternals.com). Config is a program that takes a single file as an argument & defragments it.

0 Kudos