VMware Cloud Community
garyallan
Contributor
Contributor

DNS A-Record after migrating a VM

After migrating a VM from one ESX server to another in the cluster, it sometimes has a problem with the existing A-Record in DNS. If I delete the A-Record and its associated PTR record, restart the VM, DNS works fine. I haven't tried the /registerdns switch yet but plan on it to see it that works. Anybody see this?

Gary

gpawlesh@binghamton.edu

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What does "problem with the A-Record" mean? Can't you resolve it from th ehost or from different hosts? Has it changed to some other IP address? Do you moce the guest online (VMotion) or offline?

Can you explain the issue in more detail, please?

In fact nothing related to the DNS changes by moving the guest, so have you checked the network setup? Are the VSwitches on both ESX hosts are really connected to the same IP subnet? Is the DNS server reachable from both physical LAN's where the VSwitches from both ESX servers are connected to?

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
garyallan
Contributor
Contributor

They are all working fine right now.

0 Kudos
garyallan
Contributor
Contributor

I did find that if there are any devices(especially serial devices) that are checked to connect at power on or checked in VMWARE Tools, it can cause a delay starting up the OS whereby host does not get the heartbeats to think that the OS is actually up. The error I found pointed to improperly configured VMWARE Tools. I found that the VMs that gave me the problem , had serial devices checked in VMWARE Tools or checked to connect at power on.

0 Kudos