VMware Cloud Community
virtualprince
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DC in Esx

This error happened when i tried to create an additional domain controller for my domain .

This server is hosted in an ESX instance .Win 2003 std edition sp 2 ,

Thanks,

Suresh

Thanks, Suresh
0 Kudos
7 Replies
VMentor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

this looks not like an issue regarding ESX. The error message says "Access denied". Maybe your account (domain admin, enterprise admin?) doesn't have the permission to promote a machine to a domain controller.

We're running several domain controllers in our Virtual Infrastructure. From my point of view there is no limitation running a virtualized domain controller.

JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'd agree with the above - if you couldn't connect to your domain I'd say there was something worth looking at in ESX but it looks like an AD permissions issue, pure and simple.

Does the account you're using to promote the DC have sufficient privileges to do that?

Regards

Jon

virtualprince
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys my account has full admin right...i am pretty much sure that its not the issue with user right....anyother known reasons?

Thanks,

Suresh

Thanks, Suresh
0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This isn't ESX related, but anywho...is this the first domain in the forest? have you edited the Default Domain Controllers Policy in any way? A quick googling suggests problems with this GPO, especially the settings under Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment. Check the "Enable computer and user accounts to be trusted for delegation" policy, what groups and accounts does it contain?

0 Kudos
tbraechter
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the mail. I am off till 14th of April. I will contact you as soon as I am back in the office.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's an AD permission issue.

Have you tried using the actual 'administrator' account?

Is the server in an OU to which you may not have full rights?

Is the server a mamber of the domain?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos