VMware Cloud Community
vbajrami
Contributor
Contributor

Customization Fedora 25

Hi Community,

Recently I've been customizing Linux virtual machines using customization wizard. The customization doesn't seem to work for Fedora 24 or Fedora 25. Other *nix flavors are being customized properly where the IP, hostname and disk expansion works without a problem.

I have attacked the log that comes from Fedora 25 vm.

The expected result is that Fedora 25 will reboot with the proper IP, hostname and other settings after customization.

Open-vm-tools version is: 10.1.5.59732 (build-5055683)

My questions are:

- Is guest customization supported for Fedora 24 or Fedora 25 in vmware. Using ESXi 6.0

- In the logs I see commands like  ifconfig -a and hostname but these commands are deprecated and probably causing issues?

What measures do I take to get this working.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

fedora isn't supported under customization specification, please see below link.

https://partnerweb.vmware.com/programs/guestOS/guest-os-customization-matrix.pdf

Also in logs you can see the line :

WARNING: Redhat flavor not detected

WARNING: Unknown RedHat Linux Distribution distribution flavour.

Please check KB Create a Customization Specification for Linux for more information.

0 Kudos
vbajrami
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vijayrana968,

Thanks for your reply!

Before asking the question I've been performed a vmware compatibility check on Fedora. It indeed wasn't listed there but thought someone might have more details about it. Furthermore, I have created a customization specification for centos, ubuntu and this works. I also created another customization specification for Fedora but this won't change anything. While deploying fedora from a template, the VM is created but nothing is modified even though the customization spec defines it. I've attached a few screen shots that show the workflow. As you can see, the IP: 1.3.3.7 and hostname: somhostname are not set. The VM isn't rebooted.

Are there plans to support Fedora 25 Guest customization on vmware now or in the future?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If these commands are depreciated, one thing you can test is to choose other supported Linux distribution similar to Fedora and attach this Fedora template.

0 Kudos
vbajrami
Contributor
Contributor

The selected Guest operating System is CentOS(5,6,7..). See attachment. Doesn't have any effect.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The commands with given parameters are triggered in logs but the result field is empty, only error I can see is Redhat Flavor isn't detected.

You should check this on Fedora or linux communities as I didn't find anything related to this topic in context of vmware. I believe there should be some tricks for this.

0 Kudos
vbajrami
Contributor
Contributor

I think I hacked a way around it but not sure of the consequences in the long term. I copied the content of /etc/issue and /etc/redhat-release from CentOS7 to Fedora and it works. I'm not sure though if this is the solution but it would be great if vmware had a better fix for this.

Thanks for your support!

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's great. Not sure if VMware will add this in upcoming releases. we can use tips and tricks to get our work done, only the thing is we'll not get Support officially from VMware Smiley Happy

vbajrami
Contributor
Contributor

True, this is a temporary fix and not even sure what the side effects would be, but for now it works. I just need to revert the /etc/issue and /etc/redhat-release file to its original state after customization. This should be fairly easy.

Thanks again for your thoughts and time on this issue.