VMware Cloud Community
NetJunkie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating templates without VirtualCenter Server?

We have a single installation of ESX v3. We want to create template servers. Can we do that manually without VirtualCenter Server? We don't have the budget to add a $4500 license for that just for a single server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have the same file management capabilities in the VI client as you did with the ESX 2.5 MUI.

The type of thing you're taking about needs to take place from the CLI or through a third party product.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What do you mean by 'template servers'? Even with VCenter templates are vms that have the config file renamed to .vmtx (instead of .vmx) and are not registered, so they cannot be started up. You can create a VM to your specs, unregister it and call it a template...

Deploying templates with VCenter integrates sysprep (if you are running Windows VMs) into the deployment process, which is convenient, but you can put sysprep on your template as well so it runs mini setup, or whatever it is called when it boots for the first time.

What functionality are you looking to get?

ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Basically you create a VM and load the OS, related patches and VMware tools. You then load sysprep on the VM and generate your answer file. When you are done run sysprep in the VM and have it shutdown the VM. You can now use this VM's vmdk file as a template for other VMs by exporting this vmdk file to a folder such as a templates folder on the local ESX VMFS volume. To use the template just do the following:

\- Create new VM and then delete the vmdk file

\- Import the vmdk file from the templates folder to the new VMs folder (same name as the one you deleted)

\- Power on the New VM and let sysprep run the mini setup

\- You should now have a new VM pre-configured and ready to go

NetJunkie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me ask it another way. How can I easily duplicate a server? I build a clean server and I want to copy it. Is there a way to do that from within the Infrastructure client or do I have to log in and do it from the CLI in Linux? There are no options to clone or create template in the gui for that client.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have the same file management capabilities in the VI client as you did with the ESX 2.5 MUI.

The type of thing you're taking about needs to take place from the CLI or through a third party product.

0 Kudos
ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is no way to do it from the VI Client without VirtualCenter, so you would need to do it from the command line of the ESX host.

0 Kudos
jgamble
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are basically in the same boat as I am. We have one ESX server and no budget for VC.

You can use the VMware converter (http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/) to clone an existing VM that's on the ESX server. If fact I just wrote instructions for our staff on how to do it. Here's an abbrieviated version:

1. Start VM Converter program.

2. Choose to Import Machine. The converter wizard will start.

3. Source is an "ESX server or VC Virtual Machine"

4. Login w/ your VIC username and password

5. Choose to import the virtual machine. This is the VM you wish to clone and it needs to be powered off.

6. Select the maintain disk size for standard builds or resize the disk for custom applications (add-on disk can be created later)

7. Destination is an ESX Server VM

8. Login w/ your VIC username and password

9. Name the VM host something descriptive including the OS and type of Application installed (this is a descriptive name in the VI client or virtual center, not the computer name)

10. Choose a location (or resource pool) for the VM (this can be changed later)

11. Choose a datastore for the location of the new VM's files

12. Initially choose to NOT connect the NIC at Power On

13. Choose to install VMWare Tools & Customize the identity

14. Name the Computer (Network Name) according to IT standard naming conventions.

Check - Generate New SID. You'll also need the sysprep files from Microsoft (if it's a Windows box).

15. Leave product ID blank. Check - Include Server License Info. Choose your license mode.

16. Choose your Timezone

17. Typically our servers are given static IPs. Customize the IP Address to the prescribed IP address by the IT Department. Currently VM's are given static IPs. Consult the Network Admin to allocate an IP address.

18. Initially add the Server to WORKGROUP. Once it is on-line and fully configured we will move it to the corporate domain

19. Uncheck Power On VM after creation

20. Click finish

21. Creating the new machine takes approximately 25-35 minutes.

22. The VM will show up in the inventory of the VI Client (VIC)

23. In VIC, open a console to the new VM and power it On

24. Let it run for about five minutes while the sysprep takes place, don't attempt to login until the sysprep process is complete.

25. The server will then restart.

26. The server is now provisioned and only needs to be moved into the corporate domain when it is ready to be deployed.

Hope this was able to help. It's been my routine since we deployed our ESX server last month.

~jeff

0 Kudos