VMware Cloud Community
WJCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a VM Image

If I wanted to create a server image that I could use everytime I needed to deploy a new VM, what would be the best way to do that? Do I just build an image and then clone it when I want to create a new VM? Would I need to sysprep it after the clone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

If I wanted to create a server image that I could use everytime I needed to deploy a new VM, what would be the best way to do that? Do I just build an image and then clone it when I want to create a new VM? Would I need to sysprep it after the clone?

If you are using vCenter then create a "golden" VM image, convert it to a template and then deploy VMs from this template. As long as you have copied over the right sysprep files for pre-Windows 2008/Vista, then you can customize (sysprep) the VMs as part of the deployment.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

If you are using vCenter then create a "golden" VM image, convert it to a template and then deploy VMs from this template. As long as you have copied over the right sysprep files for pre-Windows 2008/Vista, then you can customize (sysprep) the VMs as part of the deployment.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you have vcenter then you can convert the VM to a template. If you need to sysprep will depend on which OS you are using - but prior to 2008 yes you will. - You can include this in the process of deploying a VM from a template.

WJCC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos