VMware Cloud Community
tibble2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a New Vm from the files of a current one?

Hi,

Is anyone aware of a quick way to create a new virtual machine from say a base image or a machine which is already running in Vm-ware?

If so what kind of file should I be looking for and how would I do it.

Many thanks

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're running VirtualCenter, you can shut the VM down, and then right click on it and select clone. If you don't, then you can use this process -

1) Create a new VM with the specs you want and a small HD.

2) Edit the VM and remove the HD.

3) Copy the VMDK over from the source to new folder with vmkfstools -i /source_path/source.vmdk /dest_path/destination.vmdk

4) Edit the VM, add a HD and use an existing VMDK file - select the new VMDK that was created.

5) Power on the VM and run sysprep, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can use cloning (but the vm must be off) or VMWare Converter.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're running VirtualCenter, you can shut the VM down, and then right click on it and select clone. If you don't, then you can use this process -

1) Create a new VM with the specs you want and a small HD.

2) Edit the VM and remove the HD.

3) Copy the VMDK over from the source to new folder with vmkfstools -i /source_path/source.vmdk /dest_path/destination.vmdk

4) Edit the VM, add a HD and use an existing VMDK file - select the new VMDK that was created.

5) Power on the VM and run sysprep, etc.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

To create a template of the VM right click the VM and select Clone to template. This will create a group of files into a template that you can then right click the template and select deploy from template.