VMware Cloud Community
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating VM running XP (trouble loading SCSI drivers)

I am trying to create a VM running Windows XP. I got the "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer" message. I have download the .flp drive file and have the floppy drive mounted. However, when I hit F6 when the install asks for 3rd party drivers, it is ignored. I have tried several different combinations, and it just won't acknowledge that I have pressed F6. However, the next screen says press F2 for System Recovery and it does accept F2 - but that doesn't do me much good. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shannon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is very odd. what version of XP are you using ie vanilla XP Pro, or XP Pro with slipstreamed SP1, 2 or 3? if it is a slipstreamed version how was the ISO created. there are a number of know issues with ISO that have been modified using Nlite. in that it refuses to find the virtual Floppy during Install, if this is the case you have two choices,

A: modify the Nlilte ISO to include the LSI drivers by including them in hte %OEM% directory (from memory but my not be correct so check)

B: use a standard know good ISO ripped form known media and verified in another machine. the update as necessary, remember you will only have to do this once as this machine once configured to your liking can be converted into a template.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey Shannon

Have a look at this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/164156;jsessionid=0F85B7E7676F21B19D1A03D196EBF9C2?tstart=0

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, Yattong. However, my problem is that F6 is not being recognized during the Windows XP installation startup. I can't load the SCSI drivers if the system won't recognize F6.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you making sure you click inside the window during the start of the install process? If you just power it on and open the window that doesn't mean it automatically moves your curser/keyboard commands inside of it.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am positively clicking in the window. The strange thing is F6 is ingored, but the next screen says press F2 for Windows Automated System Recovery. It does recognize F2. This is driving me nuts! I need to get XP loaded, but I am stuck. Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That is strange, have you tried fom a different computer in case the F6 button isn't quite working correctly?

• Kyle

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

not wanting to teach anybody to suck eggs, but have you confirmed that the *.flp is loaded correct and the "Connected" check box is checked.

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm all for checking the basics, but it sounds like the problem is he can't even get to the screen where it allows you to load the floppy drive. If you hit F6, even if there isn't a floppy drive selected or connected it'll still take you to that driver loading screen. From what he says, he can't even get there. My guess would be keyboard related, especially when the F2 works

• Kyle

0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this on another computer - same result. F6 is ignored during installation, but F2 is recognized. Could it be something in the XP install .iso file?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

good point, how about changing the keyboard, it is unlikely to be the XP ISO, not recognising F6 however it could be your keyboard not recognising F6 especially as you say the guest sees F2.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tom,

I have tried this on three different computers and two different XP .iso files - still no luck. It just won't recognize F6. All combinations recognize when I press F2 or any other key during the installation. I was hoping to find an XP Virtual Appliance that I could use to get around this, but can't seem to find one.

Are there any other ideas? I appreciate all the help, that one is a big mystery.

Shannon

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is very odd. what version of XP are you using ie vanilla XP Pro, or XP Pro with slipstreamed SP1, 2 or 3? if it is a slipstreamed version how was the ISO created. there are a number of know issues with ISO that have been modified using Nlite. in that it refuses to find the virtual Floppy during Install, if this is the case you have two choices,

A: modify the Nlilte ISO to include the LSI drivers by including them in hte %OEM% directory (from memory but my not be correct so check)

B: use a standard know good ISO ripped form known media and verified in another machine. the update as necessary, remember you will only have to do this once as this machine once configured to your liking can be converted into a template.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
Owenhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shannon, did you ever resolve your issue. I am encountering the identical problem. F6 igonored, F2 works. Thanks.

0 Kudos