VMware Cloud Community
Ron2020
Contributor
Contributor

Creating Multi-Partition on a disk space - VM Workstation 16.0

Hello,

I'm having difficulty creating more than one partition on a disk space. I have Windows Server 2019 OS and using VMware Workstation 16.0. I've created a MS-DOS VM with 6GB fully allocated disk capacity, created one partition of 2GB and installed MS-DOS 6.22 on it. So far everything is fine and it works perfectly. My problem starts when i want to create more partitions on the same disk space. I can't fine an option for that and so far I've failed to find a way for this particular process anywhere.

I'm wondering, is there any way to do this at all?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

More partitions as in within MS-DOS? What part of your requirement or the process you are carrying out is specific to Workstation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ron2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your response. To answer to your question, yes ... within the MS-DOS Virtual Hard Disk. I set the size of my VHD to 6GB, the recommended size was 2GB. When I installed MS-DOS 6.22 on the disk, it created a 2GB partition and now I have 4GB unpartitioned space left on the disk. I wanted to use the 4GB unpartitioned space to create 2 more partitions. This way I can have 3 x 2GB partitions on 1 Virtual Hard Disk.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

To create additional partitions within MSDOS 6.22, use the fdisk command. fdisk is an "external" command - meaning not part of command.com and has its own executable.

6GB disk and 2GB partition for MSDOS 6.22 seems unnecessarily big. During the time when most desktop PCs ran MSDOS, Windows 3.0/3.1/WFW 3.11, hard disk capacities were commonly in the order of few hundred Megabytes (MB) and having a 500MB disk would be considered high capacity. It is probably best to go with the recommended 2GB disk and create smaller partitions out of it.

Here's a comparison of "low cost PCs" from an old PC Magazine Feb 23 1993 issue

https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=4RN8nH8oZ2QC&lpg=PA123&pg=PA168#v=onepage&q&f=false

For $1948, Dell System 486P/25, 4MB RAM, Conner 170MB IDE hard disk with 32KB cache, 1.44MB FDD, 800x600 14" monitor with 60Hz refresh rate, MSDOS 5.0, Windows 3.1

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Virtual Machine, Guest OS & VMware Tools area - this is a Microsoft matter not a VMware one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos