VMware Cloud Community
kspades
Contributor
Contributor

Create template with win2k3 + SQL2k5...is this advisable?

Good Morning,

VMware has made me lazy and I no longer like building Windows 2k3 machines from scratch. I have a standard template build of windows 2003R2 with latest service pack that I update bi-weekly. This template however is only a starting point, once deployed I usually end up installing IIS and SQL (along with updates) on the VM. I was wondering, is it advisable to roll a template with both IIS + SQL 2005 + Integration Services (and latest service packs) for easy deployment? I know a bit of SQL but I am no expert, so I was wondering if any of you guys see a drawback to doing this, or if anyone has done it who can offer guidance or best practices.

I'm on VI3 (esx 3.0.2 + VC 2.0.2)

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm no SQL expert either, but I've found that (at least in sql 2000) it likes the host name when sql is installed. So my only concern is if sql would have a problem during the whole sysprep or box name changing down the road and having troubles after that.

On a side note, I totally know where you're coming from on getting lazy with builds, I can't fault ya for trying Smiley Happy

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

My experience with SQL supports having the software on the server but not trying to configure from a script. We do the same for Oracle - software on the server but no Oracle configurations.