VMware Cloud Community
0xG
Contributor
Contributor

Create a Windows Driver Disk

Hi All,

Is it possible to create a disk with VM NIC drivers for Windows guest OS install? (Without installing VMWare Tools)?

Where would I find the files, and which ones are needed (Win Vista & Win 2008)?

TIA

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for the OS you mentioned I would recommend to use the E1000 virtual device - then you do not need to install a driver at all because Windows has drivers for that nic.

In the vmx-file you would set

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
0xG
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...I already have that, but the NIC doesn't seem to be recognised.

Is there not a known way to do this?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

post the vmx-file so we can check

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you install the VMware tools, you'll find the virtual NIC drivers somewhere under C:\Program Files\VMware in a separate directory. You can use these driver to include these in a WDS image to install Windows 2003 over the network with PXE boot. The Vmxnet and Flexible are the default vNICs for the 32-bit version of Windows 2003. The Intel E1000 is the only option when you want to install the 64-bit version of Windows 2003. If you run a custom wizard to create a new virtual machine, you'll have the option to see which vNICs are available for that guest OS.