VMware Cloud Community
Kaki_Saya
Contributor
Contributor

Create New Virtual Machine with ghost file

Hi Communities,

I've been trying to create new virtual machine with restoring ghost file(*.gho). I reffered the following URL;

Although ghost restoring process had been started, the speed is so slow, around 10MB/min. I use newest driver files for AMD pcnet family(it's old, though). Any suggestions? Appreciate your advice very much.

Sayaka

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kaki_Saya,

You can alo do this with the Free VMware Converter. Did you try this one ? Maybe this will result in a quicker migration.

0 Kudos
Kaki_Saya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dmaster,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I've already tried using vmware converter, though it was not selectable from other third party image file. My ghost file version is 7.5 and vmware converter saids they could be usable Ghost9 or later. Smiley Sad

Sayaka

0 Kudos
jitendrakmr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try this -

1. Copy ghost image to another VM (I will call it as Helper Machine).

2. Add a new disk to this Helper VM with size equal to the disk which you have in the form of ghost image.

3. use ghost (inside this helper machine) to restore the ghost image on newly added virtual disk.

4. Use this new vmdk to create new VM.

Thanks.

Jitendra Kumar

MCSE 2003, VCP, CCNA, ITIL Foundation

VCP, MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, Netapp NS0-153 (Storage Networking) Personal Website - http://www.virtualizationtrainings.com, http://www.hillsindia.com
0 Kudos
Kaki_Saya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jitendrakmr,

Thank you for your advice. I've tried but the restoring speed is still around 40MB/min, a little bit faster than before though...

Is there any other advice?

I would appreciate your adivce very much!

Sayaka

0 Kudos
Kaki_Saya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi community,

Although the speed is slow, I restored one ghost image to new virtual machine. I encoutered new problem that OS could not start with blue screen, "Stop 0x0000007B, 0xF4027848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000". There's support KB (KB822052) related this code and it saids that to restore ghost image correctly, use the same machine which has same HAL. Is that means ghost image file from other machine could not be convertable to vm virtual machine?

Appreciate your advice very much. Thanks!

Sayaka

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hi Kaki_Saya,

you can try do the following.

i understand that you have a ghost image of a physical machine and you want to create a virtual machine out of that.

now you have a virtual machine you machine boots up with a bleu screen. if this is the situation the following can help.

we used this method to do p2v's without using vmware p2v or the converter 2 years ago..

in this guide you can create your own boot cd en boot your virtual machine with it.

after booting you can fix all kind off stuff such as scsi controller,hal etc etc.

p.s. if you think answers from other people on the forum are usefull, don't forget to reward them with correct or usefull answer points.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

As usual, there's many ways to skin a cat and this sure is the case now.

Not sure what your issue is with the speed as it is usually a one time issue and is largely dictated by your hardware used on the ESX side.

Beware also that the console that you are using to import the new VM into is optimized for speed on running your VMs not on importing new machines...

Yet another way could be to import the ghost image into vmware workstation and then migrate the virtual machine afterwards to ESX.

Make sure to import the image as an ESX compatible image. Afterwards you can use vmware converter within workstation to migrate the VM straight into ESX.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos