VMware Cloud Community
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting VM on ESX 3.5 to Fusion 2.x

I have a VM running on ESX 3.5 that I need to migrate to run on Fusion 2.x. The VM running on 3.5 has two 20 GB virtual drives and runs CentOS 5.3. I would like to migrate it Fusion so that I can run it as a test on my Mac - using the VMware vCenter Converter tool, of course. However, I would like to scale down the total size of the VM from a combined 40 GB to around 10 GB on the Fusion side. I have a ton of free space on the existing partitions. I am using 5.7 GB on the first virtual disk and a little over 1 GB on the second. Is there a way to do this? Or I am just better off keeping it at 40 GB when converting to use on Fusion?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out the Basic System Administration Guide - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_admin_guide.pdf - Section 9

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would export the VM out as a OVF - you will then be able to open the VM under Fusion and you will not have to worry about the virtual disks because they will thin provisioned -

0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I export it out as an OVF? VI Client or Converter?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out the Basic System Administration Guide - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_admin_guide.pdf - Section 9

0 Kudos
shannonadams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I exported the VM as a virtual appliance and it has a .ova extension. When I go into Fusion and choose Import, the file name with the .ova extension is grayed out. How do I import the server.ova file in Fusion? Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos