VMware Cloud Community
BrianCleary
Contributor
Contributor

Converted VM not logging in

This is my first post and so far from what I've read everyone is MUCH smarter than I am when it comes to vmware. Here is my question..we are inthe process of converting our environment from P2V, We have successfully done 19 servers and have about 20 more to go. This past weekend we used the converter to P2V a machine and it was successful, when I started the machine up it will get to the login screen but when I put in my credentials it hangs forever on the "applying" screen, or it it manages to get thorugh that it hangs on windows activation message. Nothing stands out in event viewer when I go into safe mode and I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kbk00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A dumb question but did it work when it was hardware? Did you check the network settings on the VM? This sounds like it can't find the domain controller. Have you ensured the network settings are 100% (specifically DNS)?

If you found this posting to be useful, great. I didn't waste your time.
0 Kudos
Jeffy210
Contributor
Contributor

I'd say that this is a network problem. Chances are you had a static IP on the physical adapter and it did not get switched to the new virtual adapter. Check the event log to see what errors you're getting, and also check the IP configuration in Windows to see that everything is correct. Also check if you can ping your DC's by name and IP.

0 Kudos
BrianCleary
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the speedy responses. It's not currently on the network and we are trying to use local admin credentials to log in. I've also tried with my cached creditials with the same results.

0 Kudos
kbk00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you able to connect it to the network temporarily to test logging in actively? Are there any scripts that run within the system that hit the network? What does this system do?

If you found this posting to be useful, great. I didn't waste your time.
0 Kudos
BrianCleary
Contributor
Contributor

The Physical server is up and running now so we'll have to wait until this evening to test the network piece, it's just am application server with nothing in start up.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If it was a domain member, then it is probably trying to setup a secure channel back to the domain, and failing, and ultimately timing out. This will happen even if you are using local credentials, because the machine itself is a domain member. If you have the same issue when the vm has network access, then it will be a bigger issue.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos