VMware Cloud Community
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converted NT4 host doesn't boot

I'm running esx 3.02 u1 with latest patches .

Using converter boot CD 3.02 we have converted an NT4Sp6 server .

While converting it we've been notified that the destination VM would have an updated NTFS , we confirmed and proceded.

The convertion went through fine.

When we boot up the VM it started without problems but then it stops whitout errors .

Does anyone know how can we solve it ?

I wonder if it's related to the NTFS conversion , but we had no choices at the conversion time

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

My bet would be on left over hardware specific services and hardware agents on the new VM.

See also:

http://www.vmware-land.com/Converter.html

So boot into safe mode and try to remove the left over hardware drivers / agents / services as is detailed in the above page.

But I might be wrong as it's been a while since i've had a virtual NT4 over here.

--

Wil

wila: Added the safe mode bit.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Thanks for the link . In there I found an helpful tip. It states that to avoid the "NTFS Conversion" issue a hot cloning should be made .

I'm trying it now

0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I solved the problem removing from the VM's configruation all the devices as serial, parallel, usb,cdrom,floppy

and it worked

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Cool, glad to hear you solved it.

Thanks for the helpful and letting us know how you solved it.

If you don't need the virtual hardware especially legacy devices then it is best to remove them in any VM, not just NT4

Legacy devices such as floppy, serial and parallel get polled by the OS, see

Usb isn't supported under ESX and had pretty bad support on NT4.

Anyways, it doesn't matter anymore as it's case closed Smiley Happy

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos