VMware Cloud Community
Neil_A
Contributor
Contributor

Confusing Time Issue

I have a problem I'm not sure how to resolve!

I have 2 esx 3.01 servers running a total of 10 VM's. Neither esx host has been configured for NTP, but the vms are members of a domain and get there time from the pdc. however, with the vm's configured to update time from host os within vmware tools, a Lotus Notes client session always displays time 1 hour behind what it should be, although the vm's system time is correct. I am on GMT, the vms are set not to adjust time for daylight saving as this puts the time out by 1 hour as well!

How can I get Notes to display the correct time without affecting anything else?

Thank.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

If your VM's are members of a domain and receiving their time synch from the PDC, why are you configuring the VM's to update time from the host using the VMtools?

There should be only one time sync method for your VM's. From what you have mentioned it suggests your VM's are running two time services one in Windows and the other from the ESX host.

Check you have some kind of a conflict. If the VM's are getting time from the ESX hosts then it is possible the host's CMOS Clock is not correctly set.

Refer to this Tech paper http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

0 Kudos
Neil_A
Contributor
Contributor

All the vms have the correct time though, it is only Lotus Notes that displays time 1 hour behind.

The time and date are correct on each of the host's service console.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

are you sure that your notes server is set to GMT?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Neil_A
Contributor
Contributor

My Domino server is on a physical box which is definitely on GMT. Only the Notes clients accessing Domino through a Citrix server on a vm have this problem. It's driving me slightly mad now!

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

This sounds totally unrelated to being VM related, other then the fact you're using two different time sources and one of them is the ESX host, basically.

Make sure guest VM's, ESX host and clients PC's are set to the same time zone and to adhere to DST or not.

0 Kudos