VMware Cloud Community
KyosukeYamagiwa
Contributor
Contributor

Compatibility of CPU and guest OS on ESXi

I want to run GuestOS WindowsServer2012R2 and Redhat6 on ESXi7 with Cascade Lake.

It has been confirmed that the OS supported by esxi7 includes both of the above.

But, Windows2012R2 and Redhat6 are not compatible with Cascade Lake, it is described in the portal of MicroSoft and Redhat.

This is a restriction when installing 2012R2 and Redhat6 directly on the hardware with Cascade Lake?, is there no problem when operating on ESXi7 with Cascade Lake?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a restriction when installing 2012R2 and Redhat6 directly on the hardware with Cascade Lake?

That would be a question for Microsoft and RedHat.

Once you‘ve discovered the answer to that question, it will also tell you whether those OSes would run in an ESXi VM - ESXi doesn’t emulate a different CPU, that’s a different technology to virtualization.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos