VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Commvault Commserv and/or Media Agents running in VM?

Currenlty I have my Commserv and one Media Agent running on the same 5 year old HP DL380 server. This server sits in my disaster recovery (DR) site and writes to an Exagrid disk based backup solution. I have about 30 agents deployed that amounts to about 2.5 terabytes for a full backup. In this same site I have a brand new IBM X3650 server with ESX 3.5 on it with the following specs:

8 Cores at 2.8GHz

32GB of RAM

60GB of internal hard drive space but access to much more on my disaster recovery SAN via NFS

I bought this server back in January for one reason only, disaster recovery. It sits in my DR site and does nothing. I would only press it into service if my main data closet had some major disaster like a fire or flood. If my main data closet went south, I could use this server along with the Netapp filer in my DR site to get most services back up and running in just a few hours.

I know that Commvault does not recommend running either the Commserv or the Media Agent under VMWare since they need to compete for resources with other servers. In my case, there is no competition, this IBM server does nothing at the moment. What I want to do is bring up two Windows servers under VMWare on this IBM server, one for the Commserv and one for the Media Agent. This does split these on two different servers even though they are running on the same box. I would then migrate all the services off my old HP server to this new IBM server and retire the old server. Several months ago when I inquired with Commvault about running the Commserv under VMWare, the gentleman I spoke to said that they will support it. Recently I inquired again since I am getting close to scheduling the work and was told that the Commserv must be on a physical server.

Is anybody running their Commserv and/or Media Agents under VMWare? Does it run fine?

If so, when you have engaged Commvault support, has their been a problem?

0 Kudos
0 Replies