VMware Cloud Community
EricHerr
Contributor
Contributor

Color quality on Windows guests is 16 bit only

I'm using a Wyse device and RDP'ing to a Windows 2003 Server guest on ESX 3.5 host. When using multiple monitors set at the default display of 1600 X 1200 @ 60 Hrtz the only color quality option is medium 16 bit. Is this an option that can be changed in the ESX configuration file? Is it a limitation with the VMWare graphics driver? The application that I use drives intense graphics and the colors are not right.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

You can add the a line to the .vmx file of the VM to up the amount of video RAM it has

svga.vramSize = "134217728"

will set the video RAM size to 128MB (parameter is size in bytes). To my knowledge this only affects the "console", which in the default configuration maxes out at 1180x885 or so. The VM must be powered off to make this change.

If you're RDP'd in then the restrictions come from the workstation you're RDP'd in from, as well as the settings you used when you connected via MSTSC; that isn't dependent on any VM video RAM settings. For example from my workstation which runs a pair of 1920 x 1200 monitors (768MB of video RAM on my nVidia card) I can RDP into a W2K3 VM at 1920 x 1200/32 bit, but can only connect to the console via the VI Client at 1180 x 885/32 bit until I make the svga.vramSize change above. You can try changing the svga.vramSize, but I suspect that you may be hitting a limitation of the Wyse device rather than the VM...

Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You may also find the performance to be severly lacking if by "intense graphics" you are talking 2D or 3D rendering as virtualization is not designed for applications with those type of video requirements (just like citrix is not designed to run application like that very effectively).

If you are just refering to a large color scale (ie, 32bit depth of color range) then I would suggest using the advise already given to increase the video memory for the VM plus you will almost cirtainly need to do the following GP Policy setting. In my testing without adding the additional memory setting the best I could get RDP to connect using was 24bit color (not 32bit color), but only after enforcing that policy below. Every other client side setting gave me 16bit color.

Set Group Policy for Maximum Color Depth of Terminal Services

In many cases, after you perform these steps, the client still connects with 256 colors rather than whatever value you specified in the Remote Desktop Connection box. This behavior can occur because of a group policy on the Windows XP-based computer that determines the maximum color depth that can be negotiated by the client. In Windows XP, the default policy setting is 256 colors, but this setting can be changed by using the Group Policy Editor.

To use the Group Policy Editor to change the setting, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type MMC.

2. Click the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add. Select Group Policy.

3. Click Add, make certain that Local Computer is selected in the Group Policy Object box, click Finish, and then click Close.

4. Select Computer Configuration, click Administrative Templates, and then click Terminal Services.

5. Select Limit Maximum Color Depth and set it to the color depth that you want.

After you change the setting, you should be able to specify any setting of more than the default 256 colors setting and have the client connect with that resolution, as long as it is not higher than the setting that you specified.

NOTE: You cannot specify and connect at a higher resolution than your video hardware can support. Therefore, if you have a video card in your computer that supports only up to 256 colors, you cannot connect to a session with a higher resolution than that.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll

Top Virtualization Security Links: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Top_Virtualization_Security_Links

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos